Anyone built a 22-250 AR-10?

Shooter222

Custom Call Maker
I been kicking around the idea of building a AR-10 in 22-250.
I was wondering if anyone has done it here and wanted to talk about issues they ran into, if any.

I know there are a few companies that sell them but I like building my own stuff.
Plus none of them seem to have any stock right now .

Thanks In advance

I have never seen one, Id imagine it would have something to do with the tapered case or maybe pressures. I have seen AR's in a lot of short action cartridges but never .22-250.

Thanks guys, I will prolly try my luck at it. After watching Kirsch’s videos and all the DRT hits he has, I gotta try one.

I’ll build mine from a 80 lower. Looks like it will be a long process . Parts seem tough to find in stock. Haven’t found a barrel yet.

I may learn a thing or two from this build. Which is always a good thing.

We use the 20" bca ambidextrous uppers in .243. I recently put a 24" 10 twist heavy contour on one and you can imagine the results. Back in 2019 they were dirt cheap and hard to pass up. 70 Dogtown ammo just wrecks a coyote.
If you sign up for their emails you can get 10 percent off now. They have .308s in stock and you could get one for 570 ish bucks. Sell the 308 barrel and stick whatever you want on it. Side charging is the greatest thing goin imo.

Last edited:
Thanks Varminter 223.

I really enjoy my 6.5 grendel and 7.62 side chargers . I don’t think I will ever use a regular upper again unless it’s never gonna have a scope mounted on it.

A little off topic but this is what I replaced my side charge latch with on my 6.5
Figured I’d pass it on.
Side charge handle

I think the AR10 magazine Feeding a 22/250 round may pose a problem with the shorter over all length .
I know some factory offered AR10 22/250 use a proprietary magazine .
And those magazines are $100 buck Each.
Who knows give it a try, post ur results here, if u have good luck I’ll try one too!!

A friend of mine has one built by Specialized Dynamics. He loves it. You can only load 7 in the 10 round mag in order to feed properly. Unless you're absolutely married to the 250 id look at building a 220 swift or a 22 creed. Less taper and better feeding.

Also, if reloading... the heavy 22 bullets can be found just about anywhere right now... making the 22 creed a good choice for the current climate...

Last edited:
I been kicking around the idea of building a AR-10 in 22-250.
I was wondering if anyone has done it here and wanted to talk about issues they ran into, if any.

I know there are a few companies that sell them but I like building my own stuff.
Plus none of them seem to have any stock right now .

Thanks In advance
I have one. Bought it from Bear Creek Arsenal. I got the complete upper to include the bcg to ensure there were no problems. Shoots 1/2 minute with 52 gr Berger bullets and 36 gr Varget powder.

It can be done I see Shawn Heiden of Calling All Coyote's fame had one in one video I watched
Never built one myself but I did in 6.5 Creedmoor

MDT has special mags for the 22-250. They are about $80. If I were you I’d build a 243 lots of factory ammo choices in weight from 55-115gr. It’s not cool but it will function out of much less expensive magazines.

Back