1911s

Only 1911 I’ve ever had is the Springfield GI micro compact 1911. And that thing is the biggest pile of trash I’ve ever had. I bought it new, and I’ve never got thru 1 magazine without it jamming up. I’m not a 1911 guy, but I bought Wilson combat and nighthawk magazines, thinking that would help. But it didn’t. It’s such garbage I won’t get rid of it, because I don’t want to put that junk on another person. I should of sent it back when it was new. It must of been at least 15 years ago I bought it. And I bought a pair of the crimson trace laser grips for that when I bought it. So that was a huge waste of $250 at least too. I should look into sending it back I guess. Now I know from research that the short barrel 1911 firearms are a real chore to get reliable. I just figured every gun owner should have a 45 pistol way back then. Other than nostalgia, they really aren’t what I see in a gun to keep for safety. It’s heavy, and has low capacity of rounds, and I’ve lost trust in its reliability. Rather pack a Jennings .22 semi auto than this micro compact.

Originally Posted By: Willy BrotzOnly 1911 I’ve ever had is the Springfield GI micro compact 1911. And that thing is the biggest pile of trash I’ve ever had. I bought it new, and I’ve never got thru 1 magazine without it jamming up. I’m not a 1911 guy, but I bought Wilson combat and nighthawk magazines, thinking that would help. But it didn’t. It’s such garbage I won’t get rid of it, because I don’t want to put that junk on another person. I should of sent it back when it was new. It must of been at least 15 years ago I bought it. And I bought a pair of the crimson trace laser grips for that when I bought it. So that was a huge waste of $250 at least too. I should look into sending it back I guess. Now I know from research that the short barrel 1911 firearms are a real chore to get reliable. I just figured every gun owner should have a 45 pistol way back then. Other than nostalgia, they really aren’t what I see in a gun to keep for safety. It’s heavy, and has low capacity of rounds, and I’ve lost trust in its reliability. Rather pack a Jennings .22 semi auto than this micro compact.

Dang, that's a long time to stew about a malfunctioning gun and not bother to at least send it in. Geez...

Look at it this way. If you want the Camry of pistols, get a Glock. Or some other molded polymer copy. There's not much you can do to one that will make it not go bang, like the Toyota it will survive years of neglect and still run. Good for girls going off to college (coming up soon for me).

On the other hand, if you're the type of guy who changes the mobil 1 synthetic oil in his classic car once a year with 900 miles since the last time, just because it seems like it is time to do it, then a 1911 might be in your wheel house.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: Willy BrotzOnly 1911 I’ve ever had is the Springfield GI micro compact 1911. And that thing is the biggest pile of trash I’ve ever had. I bought it new, and I’ve never got thru 1 magazine without it jamming up. I’m not a 1911 guy, but I bought Wilson combat and nighthawk magazines, thinking that would help. But it didn’t. It’s such garbage I won’t get rid of it, because I don’t want to put that junk on another person. I should of sent it back when it was new. It must of been at least 15 years ago I bought it. And I bought a pair of the crimson trace laser grips for that when I bought it. So that was a huge waste of $250 at least too. I should look into sending it back I guess. Now I know from research that the short barrel 1911 firearms are a real chore to get reliable. I just figured every gun owner should have a 45 pistol way back then. Other than nostalgia, they really aren’t what I see in a gun to keep for safety. It’s heavy, and has low capacity of rounds, and I’ve lost trust in its reliability. Rather pack a Jennings .22 semi auto than this micro compact.

Dang, that's a long time to stew about a malfunctioning gun and not bother to at least send it in. Geez...

Not really stew about it. I just grabbed a glock or a sig to use when needed. I always knew even if it eventually ran perfect, it was like showing up at the drag strip with a wore out pinto. At its best, it’s still the bottom of the barrel in other words.

I have found that most of the reliability issues people have with the smaller 1911 style pistols are caused by gripping the pistol incorrectly. I have owned and shot numerous short barreled 1911 .45 guns and have not had a single malfunction, even with the lighter weight bullets. Being a Gunner's Mate in the Navy, I was responsible for training watch standers to load and fire the 1911. The trainees didn't have to hit anything, the only requirement was that they be able to load the pistol and get rounds downrange safely. It always amazed me that a grown man could take a full size 1911 that was 100% reliable and cause it to malfunction nearly every shot. My normal EDC gun is a Sig P365 but today I just happen to be carrying a RIA 1911 compact and I'm perfectly at ease with it.

Guys like Bill Wilson, Les Baer, Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Clint Smith, Jason Burton and on and on aren't all wrong about chopped 1911's.

Originally Posted By: Willy BrotzOnly 1911 I’ve ever had is the Springfield GI micro compact 1911. And that thing is the biggest pile of trash I’ve ever had. I bought it new, and I’ve never got thru 1 magazine without it jamming up. I’m not a 1911 guy, but I bought Wilson combat and nighthawk magazines, thinking that would help. But it didn’t. It’s such garbage I won’t get rid of it, because I don’t want to put that junk on another person. I should of sent it back when it was new. It must of been at least 15 years ago I bought it. And I bought a pair of the crimson trace laser grips for that when I bought it. So that was a huge waste of $250 at least too. I should look into sending it back I guess. Now I know from research that the short barrel 1911 firearms are a real chore to get reliable. I just figured every gun owner should have a 45 pistol way back then. Other than nostalgia, they really aren’t what I see in a gun to keep for safety. It’s heavy, and has low capacity of rounds, and I’ve lost trust in its reliability. Rather pack a Jennings .22 semi auto than this micro compact.

I'd take the boat anchor off your hands for a crisp hundo.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: Willy BrotzOnly 1911 I’ve ever had is the Springfield GI micro compact 1911. And that thing is the biggest pile of trash I’ve ever had. I bought it new, and I’ve never got thru 1 magazine without it jamming up. I’m not a 1911 guy, but I bought Wilson combat and nighthawk magazines, thinking that would help. But it didn’t. It’s such garbage I won’t get rid of it, because I don’t want to put that junk on another person. I should of sent it back when it was new. It must of been at least 15 years ago I bought it. And I bought a pair of the crimson trace laser grips for that when I bought it. So that was a huge waste of $250 at least too. I should look into sending it back I guess. Now I know from research that the short barrel 1911 firearms are a real chore to get reliable. I just figured every gun owner should have a 45 pistol way back then. Other than nostalgia, they really aren’t what I see in a gun to keep for safety. It’s heavy, and has low capacity of rounds, and I’ve lost trust in its reliability. Rather pack a Jennings .22 semi auto than this micro compact.

I'd take the boat anchor off your hands for a crisp hundo.

That’s a start.

Here is my Custom Covert that I carry.It eats most anything I try. I have an Aegis II and even a CDP Ultra Plus. The Ultra Plus just sits, so Its gonna go.
2942.jpg
I also have a 4" custom. Its built on a Caspian steel frame.
2943.jpg

One thing to remember with a Single action, Carry a spare mag in your weak hand from pocket. It doesn't weight that much and its something you never know when you might need. I NEVER leave home with out a spare mag no matter what I carry.

Last edited:
I prefer 5” guns especially when I carried iwb. The 5” gun stuck further down and had less leverage against my hip. I still prefer 5” now that I carry owb.

Originally Posted By: NavigatorOne thing to remember with a Single action, Carry a spare mag in your weak hand from pocket. It doesn't weight that much and its something you never know when you might need. I NEVER leave home with out a spare mag no matter what I carry.

You mean "single column magazine", not single action, right?

You are correct. I was referring to a single action 1911. Not very often I carry my Freedom arms Premier 83. lol

Last edited:
Carrying a reload is good advice regardless of the handgun. Even high capacity double stack guns. There are some malfunctions that absolutely the fastest and easiest way to get the gun back in the fight is to simply reload the gun. In order to do that you need another magazine. Learning to gunsmith your weapon in the middle of a gunfight is a bad experience.

Back