Midway USA Gouging

I blame 1/2 the problem on the paranoid people buying everything up at the first sign of a threat and the other half on this purposely buying up any existing supply they can to turn around and capitalize on that unbalanced demand... Have been watching 1# cans of common powders like Varget, 4895, 4350 all breaking $125-150 a pound...not asking for....selling out at those prices. Desperate people and greedy people are the root..In the center the offset industry elevates the prices across the board...When the frenzy settles down the prices will wind up somewhere between what they were and the crazy gouger prices, but NEVER go back to what the y were before hand. Just my observation, each and every election the gullible feel threatened this crap begins. Is there substance to it? Possibly a smidge, but in the end the Gun/ammo industry is laughing while we battle financially against others exploiting the situation(many of which are fellow sportsman)..
Just my opinion for what you paid for it..absolutely nothing

Quote:possibly a smidge, but in the end the Gun/ammo industry is laughing and the anti-gun crowd is down right ecstatic, while we battle financially against others exploiting the situation(many of which are fellow sportsman)..

Absolutely, but sadly, I fixed it for you, Driven2tri24.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: reb8600Anybody else noticed that Midway is pricing items substantially higher than other vendors? They are becoming the new Cheaper Than Dirt. This weekend they had powder come in and were selling 8 pound jugs for $280. Powder Valley got the same powders and sold them for $220. I have see seen other items on Midway listed for $10-20 higher than other retailers. A company their size should be able to beat most people’s prices. They have become a last resort for me to buy anything. Before anyone says it is supply and demand, it is not. It is gouging.

Its not just them! My local buds is asking 30.00 a box for 22mag.. Guess if folks are stupid enough to buy it, the price isn't going down no time soon.. All this hoarding is raising the price of everything.! If everyone would stop hoarding the demand would go down & so would the price.. I'm well stocked with what I need! but will shoot alot less than usual this yr.

I know this thread is about Midway for the most part. They aren’t the only ones raising their prices. Last year an FFL transfer at our local gun shops would cost between $30 -$40. Now it’s anywhere from $60 - $100!!!

Last edited:
One way around many of these issues is to have a network of friends that happen to have a large surplus of XXX and you have YYY for trading. Many of us have stuff tucked away that we hadn't thought of for years and that probably means we won't need it in the future if we are getting on in years like I am. No price gouging there and helping each other out means sticking it too the guys that want to take serious advantage of you ala CTD.

A few phone calls and e-mails generate a lot of help from various points. I needed some lead bullets for a 32 S&W Long and put the word out. Withing 36 hours I had arranged to pick up 1300 that met my needs perfectly. Heck 800 are coming from guys I'd never met but they went out and poured up a batch and sent them along.

Look around those storage sheds and see what you all have and get some swapping done or even pass it along with no swap. I'm financing new suppressor with some of my excess and not making a single extra dime on what it cost me years ago for stuff. I mean how many 9 MM rounds of SD ammo do I really need? 100? 500? 1000? When you can fill up 30 Browning High Power mags and still have plenty left after topping off every Tom Dick and Harry 9 MM magazine you have how many do you really need?

At some point if you have been playing these games for so many decades most of us have enough excess to cease and desist buying and will still have plenty of rounds left for a 21 gun salute when they plant us. Just some random thoughts/feelings but hope beats eternal that I'll be around on the other side of this. Until then good hunting and good luck.

Greg

I don't like to accuse them of it, since I have been a customer since way before the internet, back when you just ordered from a catalog, but I put in for a notice when some .35 bullets came in stock. notice came today, 60.99 a box of 100. in the meantime, they became available at another supplier, for about 20% less. same bullet, and I assume they paid hornady same price as midway would. kind of makes me think.
Barry

I get ads from ammunition depot and sent them an E Mail saying their prices are outrageous and they were ripping people off and that I will never buy from them again and I will tell my friends not to buy from them. They sent back saying that they have to pay way higher prices, I told them Bull$hit, manufacturers aren't raising their prices. A lot of places are still charging normal prices.
Tarey

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherI know this thread is about Midway for the most part. They aren’t the only ones raising their prices. Last year an FFL transfer at our local gun shops would cost between $30 -$40. Now it’s anywhere from $60 - $100!!!

Everyone's gotta eat, a lot of shops that cant get any new stock are relying heavily on internet sales to keep afloat.

I get a kick out of the news when I hear that the law raided some drug dealer's house and found 11 guns and over 5000 rounds of ammo, I'd say that poor feller is just about out.

Dave

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherIt will be interesting to see if prices, including transfer fees, go back to normal once stock levels return.

They will, its just a matter of when. It is a relative to availability and what people are willing to pay for it. When people start drawing the line somewhere, prices will start to level and then come back down. Gonna be a little while though and the longer it takes the worse it gets.

Larry got Big so now is overhead has got to be starting to hurt some! How long ago was it when ole Larry got automated and pounded his chest on how fast he can ship. Maybe get Big or get out isn’t working for Larry! How many of us go to his web site just to check prices or read the reviews? Is he setting the prices for everyone to follow? I’ve ordered my fair share from Midway. But it’s getting harder to order with the interNUT and shopping around! Like others have said I’m Good... Feel bad for the young guys trying to get started in this sport we all love so much.

I don't worry too much about the prices; if it's too high I don't buy it. I do remember those who try to stick it to us in hectic times (CTD anyone?).

What really irritated me was Midway's "free shipping." I got that email and hit the site for a set of dies I've wanted. They're in stock, but not quite enough to hit the $50 limit for free shipping. So, I added a couple small items that I don't really need (just want) to hit $50, then go the cart to check out. Once in the cart I see that the dies don't qualify for free shipping and I need to spend another $39 to get that free shipping. Pretty sneaky.

Wow , I was at Sportsmans in Ogden Utah today and a guy brought up a ammo box of 338 Lapua 200 rounds. It wasn't price marked so I listened in while they gave him a price........... $1109.00. What ????????????? Holy crap thats $5.54 everytime you pull the trigger. This is soon turning into a rich mans game. Note: I haven't seen Sportsmans gouging.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI don't worry too much about the prices; if it's too high I don't buy it. I do remember those who try to stick it to us in hectic times (CTD anyone?).

What really irritated me was Midway's "free shipping." I got that email and hit the site for a set of dies I've wanted. They're in stock, but not quite enough to hit the $50 limit for free shipping. So, I added a couple small items that I don't really need (just want) to hit $50, then go the cart to check out. Once in the cart I see that the dies don't qualify for free shipping and I need to spend another $39 to get that free shipping. Pretty sneaky.

You notice alot of stuff is on sale now too and that disqualifies it for free shipping.

Back