Pistol loading and accuracy.

crapshoot

I can honestly say that i have never done any load development when it came to pistol loading.
Back when i had a Ruger Bisley blackhawk in 45 colt and shot heavies, I'd just give it a heavy dose of 231 or 296 but kept it with in max listing.
Nowadays I'm all about the most "pews" per pound.

So here is the question.
Are pistols as finiky as rifles when it come to powder type, charge weight, bullet weight, etc. pertaining to accuracy?
Or is it more of a how hot do you wanna run it and accuracy is just whatever it is going to be?
Having never shot pistol loads from a rest, and being a mediocre shot offhand at best i ask upon those more knowledgeable than i for enlightenment.

There are a lot more variables related to handguns than with rifles. It is a lot hard to get a handgun to be steady and consistent. I have done load development with handguns but its usually looking for speed of where I want to be vs looking at groups like I do in rifles.

I would say generally speaking a handgun is much less vital as far as that goes, most of my "plinking loads" I just pick a load that will do what I want and if pressures are good, I run with it.

I'm no expert but I reload 9mm 38 357 45 and 44 magnum. I like to shoot steel of various sizes out to 40 yards. From what I've found as long as I get a good charge, accuracy doesn't change much. You realize the massive mark up in handgun ammo when you load your own.

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63 From what I've found as long as I get a good charge, accuracy doesn't change much.

Care to elaborate? "Good charge?"

This one is down right interesting. I'll try and write a bit in the AM. I think I know a bit about the subject from 45 plus years of making handguns shoot for the Gold.

Greg

Shooting a semi auto I stay up at the top of the load data so they don't have a cycling problem. Plinking ammo in a revolver you can drop the charge some.

I've loaded for 380,9mm, 38sp, 357 mag, 40s&w, 45 acp, 45lc so I know about loading light and heavy as far as how much powder to use.
What i am looking for is how much does charge weight affect accuracy in pistols vs rifles? Is it critical to find the perfect powder and charge weight down to the tenth of a grain in order to find acceptable accuracy or is accuracy relatively equal regardless of charge weight and only terminal ballistics is affected due to velocity?

Am i making any sense?

Lots and lots of variables. Nutshell Yes charge weights DO matter. Another thing is some bullets are more accurate than others. Pistols don’t have nodes,,,, barrels too short. 4 types or pistols and each being different. Sights, optics all come into play and make differences.
But to help a little, a computer software for loading helps. Hand loader magazine has several loads for different calibers each month.
With a revolver the cylinder throats need to be honed to the correct dimension especially shooting cast, and thread choke can hurt accuracy.
Not seating bullets the same will give vertical stringing.
A good crimp makes a big difference. No bullet jump and helps to get more or all powder burnt.
We have so many choices of powders and yes they will make a difference. Take a light load for plinking use a faster burning powder for a woods or chore or working load a medium burning powder with a mid weight bullet usually gives better results. And like you said for the heavy for caliber a slower burning powder, performs better,
Barrels ,,, crown, forcing cone, or chamber on other types.
Let’s get real specific on info,,, gun type caliber sights etc. and wring out best offers or solutions.
But each pistol will decide what it likes best. Bullet weights and powders.

I wouldn’t down play loads as far as tuning goes, it does make a difference. A particular rig will have its likes and dislikes of projectiles.
If your shooting cast, size is king, period. Cast with wheel guns will need a bit more attention still, yes you may need some cylinder or barrel work.
Jacketed will hide a lot of barrel issues.
Also, hard cast are not necessarily a good thing either.
I expect a lot more from my pistols than most folks, so I am some what biased on accuracy with anything with a barrel at or over 5” in length.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI can honestly say that i have never done any load development when it came to pistol loading.
Back when i had a Ruger Bisley blackhawk in 45 colt and shot heavies, I'd just give it a heavy dose of 231 or 296 but kept it with in max listing.
Nowadays I'm all about the most "pews" per pound.

So here is the question.
Are pistols as finiky as rifles when it come to powder type, charge weight, bullet weight, etc. pertaining to accuracy?
Or is it more of a how hot do you wanna run it and accuracyy is just whatever it is going to be?
Having never shot pistol loads from a rest, and being a mediocre shot offhand at best i ask upon those more knowledgeable than i for enlightenment.

Yes pistols can be just as finicky as rifles and sometimes even more because of all the variables. Single shot or a specialty pistol not always as much as a semi or a revolver. Revolver being the worst.
You ask about powders and bullets; Yes powders and quantity can and do make a difference. 45 Colt w/270 gr cast bullet.
If my memory serves me correct it was as follows:
John Taffin Load 18grs of 4227
Hank Williams Jr 19grs of 4227
John Linebaugh 20grs of 4227
Upon trying each load I found the first 2 loads mild and the last while more recoil was the most accurate.
Again, each individual gun will tell you what it likes.
W231 and W296, H110, N110., Unique, 4227, Power Pistol, and Bullseye have all proven to be good loads with that same said bullet and other respective bullets, and of course certain quantities of each powder, all in the 45 Colt.
You didn’t ask specifically about bullets but some bullets are more accurate than others.
Accuracy in a semi or a stock revolver is a wonderful thing. There is some makers that produce such but some come with a high price tag.
That in itself is another story.
You never mentioned primers but they too can play a small part in accuracy when it comes to components. But most of this shows up at 100yds or greater. Yes I am still talking pistols. Revolvers and Semis included.
What I prefer to do when developing a load is to perform the single ladder loads, so as to not waste components. If the POI is shifting from POA or signs of over pressure is rearing it’s ugly head then it’s time to stop and dismantle cartridges.
Document range time well, and keep targets or take photos, to reference at a later date.

Back