Where does the 17WSM fit in?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSo what did the smith do?

I had him bed the action, not the barrel rings like most do, into a Boyd's Pro Varmint. The Bmag is a real beeotch to bed the action on and about the only thing you can bed is in around and under the front action stud. When I picked it up he politely told me to never bring him another and mine would be the only Bmag he would ever be bedding.

Had him chop the barrel back to 20 inches and thread it for my suppressor.

Used a 1pc pic rail from DIP Inc and a set of low Weaver rings to mount a Leupy Vari X III 4.4-14x40AO scope I had sitting on the shelf.

I bought a set of go/no go gauges for the 17 WSM from PT&G and mine checked out ok.

These things are easy to tune the trigger on and they respond well to a little messaging. Mine breaks crisp and clean at under 2lbs now. Cleaning up the trigger has nearly eliminate all of my FTF issues also. I can't remember the last time I had a FTF.

I shoot my Bmag suppressed 100% of the time and though it will certainly never win any awards for engineering or design, mine shoots very well and I've come to enjoy shooting it a lot and it is one of my favorite ground squirrel guns.

I bought a bmag about four years ago. It wasn't what I was looking for at the time as I was shopping for an hme. When I found this rifle I took a chance on it. I can get under an inch at 100 with it and its proves to be perfect for calling raccoons. I have a few other projects in line ahead of this one but will eventually get a different shock for it and bed it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy smith has a Ruger 77. Mines a BMag. My rifle, IMO, shoots better than his Ruger and at half the cost. I don't like the rotary mag in the Savage as it is kind of a PITA to load at times and the cock on close takes a bit to get use to but none are really deal breakers. Mines the stainless HB and it came in the tupperware stock but that was replaced with a Boyd's before it ever made a trip to the range. The Ruger is by far the nicer quality rifle, no arguing that at all but I couldn't see paying that much on a rifle that I'm not ever sure what to do with yet and I just wanted first hand experience with the 17WSM CARTRIDGE. There are other brands of rifles but the prices go up.....and up. Winchester has a single shot but it will run in the $1000-$1200 range. Some in the AR platforms as well.

Pretty much this. I bought my Bmag some months ago. I bought the standard barrel, lighter to carry on a sling riding the Sno machine or 4-wheeler. Very accurate, agree the rotary clip is a pain. I do wish Savage would have put a bit more effort into the slide and bolt areas and action. It works just fine on coyotes. Out to 150 no problem. Stay off the shoulder. Neck shots drop them.
As for the ammo, that's a let down but there is only one show in town so gotta deal.
My Bmag shoots the 25gr the best. I am getting between 2-3 duds per box of 50 no matter the label. Casing strikes look fine, the issue is QC when the primer powder is spun into the casing.
This rifle with a Leupold 6x is a very adequate rifle and one I wouldn't hesitate using on animals up to 80lbs if the distance and bullet placement are correct.
Hefa

I had a box with the Federal Label and several with Winchester. Winchester is the 25 grain. I have not made it thru a box without failures.
I bench shot the gun at 240 yards and was very impressed with the groupings at that range particularly with the factory stock and thin barrel. After shooting function at that distance it was turned back down to plus 3/4" @ 100 yards. That is where it's set now shooting the 25 grain. That has me on the fur from zero to nearly 180 yards or so.
When I'm calling I'm not real concerned about putting predators in my lap. If the shot is clear inside of 100 super, in to 70 is trigger time unless there is a follower. At those distances the neck shot is instant death. Beyond 100 I look for lungs.
It's a fun fast round, at the above distances the lead is minimal if you keep the barrel moving.
Pysco you may not know what place your new gun will have in the future but right now I'm betting your going to have a lot of fun with it.

Hef-A

Probably crazy & I'm guessing the pressures would be too high but I wondered if anyone rechambered a 17 HMR CZ 452/453? Any thoughts?

Back