Comparing 17 Rem with 17 Fireball

parson

I have a Contender carbine barrel in 17 Remington by Bullberry. I like it but primer flow into firing pin hole is a problem. Using Rem 7 1/2 and full recommended load data the primer flow almost locks the action up, dropping down to minimum load still has flow but not too hard to open. Hate to get rid of it but am considering trading for either a Fireball or Hornet. My question is for those that have had both, does the fireball primers flow like the Remington? I was going to bush the pin hole but it is so hard I cannot drill it out and tap it for a bushing. I know there are other ways to do it but not sure it’s worth the trouble.

More than likely as they both run at high pressure. It would more than likely cheaper to have it bushed than a new barrel.

But is the solution to your problem, just fix it right that way you aren't chasing the issue around. Would be worth sending it off and getting it done.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDo you shoot other calibers besides the 17 Rem in your Contender? Any problems with them?

35 Rem, 357 Max, 30-30, 223, 22Hornet, 22lr, no problems

I havent had either. Max pressure on fireball is 55k, and max on the rem is 63k. Not sure if you'll find anybody who has had both in a contender with a large firing pin hole, but it sounds like your issue may be specific to your frame? Some here may know which primers are harder if that may help.

Originally Posted By: Mike BI havent had either. Max pressure on fireball is 55k, and max on the rem is 63k. Not sure if you'll find anybody who has had both in a contender with a large firing pin hole, but it sounds like your issue may be specific to your frame? Some here may know which primers are harder if that may help.

Remington specifically made the 7 1/2 for the 17, because at the time 6 1/2 was flowing back into the firing pin hole. Today the CCI 41 is as tough or more than the 7 1/2, both flow back into hole on mine. I have seen worse, but with almost zero head space it doesn’t take much flow to make opening difficult.

Back