Calling all 6.5x47 Lapua Shooters

Have a Defiance Deviant Tactical build being finished up with a Bartlein 1:8 twist 5R Medium Palma barrel and want to start load development while I wait for my stock to be made.

I have most of my components including Lapua brass, CCI450 Primers, and Varget powder (Also a ton of H4350 if needed).

My question is, what does everyone shoot as far as bullets? I am told with the twist and limited capacity, 130 gr is about max. I ordered the 1:8 because I know it will stabilize everything from 120-140 well, just want to be sure I do it right. I am not against a tipped bullet but most 130's seem to be OTMs. Price isnt really a factor within reason. I was looking at Lapua Scenars, Sierra SMK and TMK, maybe a Berger of some sort

I want the most consistency as possible. If it matters, my dies are a Redding Type "S" Neck Bushing set.

What distance do you shoot? What freebore do you have in your throat? Mine is .123 and .199 is more common

123 Sierra MK has been very, very good
127g Barnes long range was easy to tune .050 off the lands
130g Accubond is very, very accurate also

AA4350 is very, very accurate with these bullet weights.

Best wishes, not hard to tune your rifle

Last edited:
I like the Nosler RDF bullets, come in different weights and I get them from shooters pro shop. I have 2 rifles, one for hunting and one is my F Open rifle. I got some 100grs to shoot really good and might try them on coyotes when I have some time..
Tarey

I am at work so I don't have my load data handy.
Shoot for .002 neck tension with your bushing dies.
I put together a FTR rifle in 308 on one of those actions for a friend of mine, really nice action. His was single shot. They are nice and smooth functioning.

Last edited:
I have had 2 heavy 6.5x47's and currently have 1 light one.
I'm a big fan of varget or H4350 with 123 lapua, 123SST Horn, 130VLD's, 140VLD hybrids and 142SMK...
A couple guys i know are really liking the newish 144Berger also..
I'm shooting 123SST hornady w/Varget in my light one currently and its liking them. Nothing wrong with any of the others but I have no experience with them.
Brien

I have 5 - 6.5x47L. The 1/8 will shoot a big variety of bullets. I typically shoot the Nosler 140 CC or RDF and the Norma Golden Bullets in a 130gr. Reloader 17 is really good along with the Varget and H4350.
Im building 2 right now. One is going to be an Ultralite(700)paradigm barrel AG Composites Alpine Hunter and the other a standard(Stiller Tac30)Proof and a Mcree chasis.

Last edited:
Back