Ballistic Advantage Barrel issue?

Not really an issue per-se, but its the most stubborn barrel I have come across. It is an 18" Fluted SPR Stainless Steel 1:8 twist rifle length gas system. I have tried 69 and 77 gr Nosler CC with TAC and had mixed results. I had used a proven load with 60 gr VMAX as well as a proven load with 52 gr SMK both of which were running H335. I did try 55 gr Nosler with LT30 and found it to give poor groups and fairly inconsistent velocities and ejection.

I know the correct answer is try more bullets weights but was curious if anyone runs this barrel or the unfluted version and if so, what loads have you found to work best?

Before I continue to burn powder and bullets, I was trying to get an idea of where to start or at least where to continue.

I want to run either 55 gr Nosler BT or 60 gr VMAX flat base.

I have TAC, H335, IMR4198, LT-30, Benchmark and many more.

Thoughts or pet loads?

EDIT: Removed the muzzle break and found buildup on the crown. Removed all the carbon buildup and cleaned the crap out of the bore until it was clean, reinstalled the barrel and retorqued it. I am gonna try one last HOORAH with 60 gr VMAX and TAC/H335 ladder tests. If that doesnt do it, gonna see what BA says. Will keep the thread updated for future reference with anyone with similar issue.

Last edited:
I've been shooting a ballistic advantage barrel for a few years on my night rifle, I struggled for a while until I removed the thread protector, now I'm running it supressed. mine shot superb with 70 grain Berger's but could only single load because of the length.
I settled on a 50 grain hollow point flat base, I think they are speer. With h322.

Originally Posted By: 1FoxYou guys are really making me nervous. I've got a brand new one here I havn't got around to installing yet.

For what its worth my BA/AP 16" midlength nitrided 1:7 twist barrel will shoot the 60 gr VMAX in one hole with a max charge of H335. Kinda why im wondering [beeep] with this 18" barrel after such good results from the other.

In the past couple years, Ballistic Advantage has slipped off in the quality department in my opinion, especially with their .223 barrels.

I have five of their .308 barrels and they all shoot well. I also have two of their 6.5 Grendel barrels, apparently no longer offered, and they shoot well. These barrels were acquired a few years ago.

However, their .223 barrels of late have been a big disappointment for me and other shooters. I had to send back two of their Mk12 profile Nitride barrels last year as they shot 8"-15" groups with multiple weight bullets and powders, loads that are sub-MOA in multiple other rifles. Wild flyers were the norm.

In fact, I damaged my AEM5 suppressor on my Mk 12 clone build and sent the entire upper to Ron Allen for evaluation, the build was as it should be, the barrels simply were FUBAR and failing to stabilize bullets. The third and final replacement barrel I insisted on being their bead-blasted SS version. While it has not shot MOA as of yet, it is better than the previous two Nitride barrels.

I was fortunate as "Kyle" at Ballistic Advantage was helpful in getting the barrels replaced... it went like this... when I first reached out to BA via phone and e-mail... crickets. But when I used their web site based RMA system I got a response.

Kyle sent me my first replacement barrel immediately and prior to me returning the first suspect barrel. When the second barrel shot as bad and damaged my suppressor, Kyle said they would evaluate the second returned barrel first and let me know what their "testing" found before authorizing a third barrel.

After a couple weeks of asking for a progress report, I got a short rely to the effect "a new barrel has been sent". Absolutely nothing feedback wise as to what was discovered, I honestly don't believe they did any testing at all. Despite multiple times asking, BA has never given me an answer.

Well, apparently I was fortunate as others have not been treated as well lately regarding barrel problems. If you go to AR15.com and do a search, you will find multiple people with problems concerning their BA barrels.

I don't know if it was the multiple pictures I sent to support my claim, dropping Ron Allen's name into the mix, or the fact I run a training company and have a lot of contacts here in FL where BA is located that resulted in the fair treatment I got but others have basically hit a brick wall.

If you're shooting known good loads... STOP any further waste of precious supplies... go to BA's website and fill out the RMA request and get another barrel. Attach pics of groups if you can. Document your shooting and the results. Might want to pick a completely different barrel material like I did.

I went with a Criterion Mk12 profile barrel from Craddock Precision to complete my Mk 12 clone build. The folks at Craddock had nothing good to say about the current BA barrels they are seeing.

Good luck... reloading supplies and ammo are too expensive to chase performance excessively.

I guess that I should feel lucky. I have 4 of their barrels. 1-16in spr in 223 wylde, 1-18in spr in 223 wylde, 18in spr in 6.5grendel and 1-20in dmr in 6.5 grendel. All have shot very well for the loads that I have worked up for them. The 223 are shooting 55gr bullets with 25.5gr of H335 and set off with remington 7.5's.

I heard that bear creek Arsenal makes barrels for BA now? Or at least supplements their production. Hard to know the truth from hearsay though.

I wouldn't be afraid of fire lapping the barrel. If there are any rough spots in the barrel that could cause build-up, this is an easy and very inexpensive way to get the barrel back into shape. Just a thought.
JM

My 18spr barrel loves the 55gr Hornady sxsp over 8208 xbr, also 75gr Hornady over 23gr arcomp. I also load my 75/77 at 2.245" and the 55s at 2.100" Check the barrel out. Clean the [beeep] out of it and inspect. I had a faxon match that had horrid chatter marks in it. They replaced it no issues.

Back