243 win 90gr ELDX

42769vette

Sponsor
Tikka T3 243 win

KRG chassis

Lapua brass

Federal match primer

COAL 2.79

This will mainly be a thermal coyote rifle, but the occasional deer/pronghorn might not be out of the question. With that in mind, I went with the 90gr ELDX, and H4350. Temperature sensitivity will be very important on this rifle.

It felt like my shooting was off today, so I really didn't pay much attention to groups today. Everything I shot was around 1 MOA once I got past 43 grains. My main focus here is on the numbers. My loads are way hot according to my Hornady book (only lists 95gr bullets), and a little hot on the Hodgon site. I was just starting to see a touch of pressure extractor marks, but not enough I would be scared of it. The primers looked perfect, but I could see the extractor in the right light.

These are 5 shot groups with average, and SD listed. I honestly don't plan to ever shoot past 400 yards, so SD is probably not as important on this rifle as my others.

GR Average SD

42.5= 3072 42.7

43= 3140 10.5

43.5= 3155 8.4

44= 3200 1.4

44.5= 3211 15

45= 3276 16

45.5= 3276 10

Obviously 1.4 SD is pretty appealing for longer range stuff, but with this being a thermal rifle (need flat shooting because ranging is difficult), with max range of 400 yards, and extra 76 FPS would come in handy. Would you

Try 45.7 to see how far that 3276 goes? Try and split the difference at 45.25? Or, go with the best SD at 44 gr? Once I get a charge weight I will play with seating depth a little to work on groups, I will not get closer to the lands than I was today. I'm not jammed, but I'm not far from off.

My purpose for going higher is not more velocity, My purpose is finding out how big the node might be.

Last edited:
around 3150 fps will be your best accuracy from the 22.4" Tikka (I assume it's the T3x Lite model and not the Varmint)

I'd try 43.5, and 1% above and below this for accuracy testing (43.1, 43.5, 43.9grs)

45.5grs 3275 fps is over max load, I wouldn't push it any harder than that. Quickload predicts 65,000psi, SAAMI max is 60,191

Originally Posted By: todbartellaround 3150 fps will be your best accuracy from the 22.4" Tikka (I assume it's the T3x Lite model and not the Varmint)

I'd try 43.5, and 1% above and below this for accuracy testing (43.1, 43.5, 43.9grs)

45.5grs 3275 fps is over max load, I wouldn't push it any harder than that. Quickload predicts 65,000psi, SAAMI max is 60,191

Thanks, I do have the T3 lite. Mine seems to prefer 3200. I backed the bullet a off the lands a bit, and 44.1 grains gave me 5 shots with an ES of 12, at 3205 average. 5 shots landed in a 2 inch circle at 300 yards, which is dead yote all day, so I'm calling it a day.

I basically just wanted to get load development done with a scope before my thermal arrived.

Sounds like you have it dialed in, nice work. I just recently bought a Tikka T3x Superlite in the 243 Win and worked up a load for it using the 80 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. I am shooting IMR 4064 and got it dialed in at 3378 fps.

I'm curious how you like that bullet's performance.. I considered grabbing some for 243 deer rifle but was hesitant from lack of real world reviews.

Originally Posted By: BrienMI'm curious how you like that bullet's performance.. I considered grabbing some for 243 deer rifle but was hesitant from lack of real world reviews.

I have had such great luck with Barnes bullets with other calibers that I fully expect this 80 gr TTSX to be a hammer on the deer and antelope. And, I have not shot a coyote yet with it but I expect there to be little fur damage due to how the Barnes bullets work.

Originally Posted By: BrienMCurious about the 90ELD-x performance on deer size animals.. They sure are proud of them..

If I ever shoot a deer with one, Ill let you know, but this rifle will be my 3rd string deer rifle. I have a 6 year old, and in a few years she will use it.

Ive killed a lot of deer, yotes, pronhorn, bear with the old Amax's and if you put the bullet where it should be, I had no issues. I probably killed 50 critters with the Amax, and my furthest track was on a pronghorn that went 100 yards.

That would be great! Both of my daughters use .243's .. Last couple years they've been using straight 100gr sierra spitzer boat tail. They work really well but I keep thinking I would like something lighter and faster from the 18" Ruger Compact 243 my youngest uses. The big doe she shot last fall barely went anywhere so it's not worth complaining about.

Originally Posted By: BrienMThat would be great! Both of my daughters use .243's .. Last couple years they've been using straight 100gr sierra spitzer boat tail. They work really well but I keep thinking I would like something lighter and faster from the 18" Ruger Compact 243 my youngest uses. The big doe she shot last fall barely went anywhere so it's not worth complaining about.

For a pure deer gun in 243 I would not use the ELDx bullets. Id probably go with a Barnes 80gr TTSX. They are expensive, but your probably not putting thousands of rounds through a deer rifle.

Back