Shooting earplugs , part time hearing aids?

jetman

OK, now that we are talking hearing aides I had one of mine stopped working. I have used them mostly at night watching tv and never outside, there over 6 years old.
I am quite hard of hearing
SO I was looking.

I found some NRR30 plugs that I'm wondering if I could use them as, every day, part of the day hearing aids.

https://www.earplugstore.com/sportear-ghost-stryke.html

SportEAR Ghost Stryke by AXIL Universal fit Hunting Hearing Aids

There a tenth of the price of a good, just hearing aids.

I use them for 3 to 4 hours a day, but may use this outside, just as aids.

What do you think, I know that is an odd idea but it is just not worth it to me to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on aides that sit in my underwear drawer most of the time.

I have three different types of muffs

for shooting but would like something different

Before I got real hearing aides I was using the $14.95 WalMart kind sold in the sporting goods department. They were enough for me to get by but my $7K pair from the VA work like hearing aides are suppose to.

My right ear is bad. Lots of loud noise from 28 years in a production shop. I tried some of the great hearing aids that are putting the major companies out of business. I think I paid like $89.00 for them. Well, I may have wore them 15-20 minutes. They wouldn't fit in my ears snugly enough to stay in place and when I turn them up to hear, they squealed like a pig under a fence. Long story short...total waste of money. A friend went to Hearing Life and got devices he swears by but they aren't terribly expensive. I think he paid $1500 for a pair. They are very small and fit behind the ear. He says they shut down with gun fire. IDK about that. After buying cheap, it has me a little shy about his but may go soon and check them out. I'm tired of having to say WHAT all the time and when I'm in a meeting not being able to hear. But like everyone else, I sure hate to pay 7-8 grand just to hear.

UP date.
First, my wife says THANKS!!!
We can sit on the couch and listen to the TV and she does not get a headache from the noise.
They stay in easily and I have been wairing them solid for a month.
I get two full days on the battery some times 3. I can use them in the car/truck and still hear the radio and wife talking without having it Blaring. You still hear the road/motor noise but it is compressed to a lower level. Shooting is the same you still hear the shot they don't shut off with noise they just limit it to a safe level.
Liking them so far, and PS we still have birds that chirped and I even heard some turkey gobbling in the distance last time I was out hunting.

Last edited:
Glad they're working for you. Sounds about like the "in the ear" ones the VA furnished for me about 5 years ago that had a 3-4k price tag on them.

From what I hear they have come a long ways in recent years as far as blocking background noises, which is my only complaint.

Some background noises, such as road noise or the "hum" of a crowd in public places is magnified as much or even more than the voice of the person you are trying to carry on a conversation with, if that makes sense.

I understand the newer ($7k
frown.gif
) behind the ear versions do a better job of cancelling out background noises?? (I chose in the ear type so as not to interfere w/my eyeglasses.)

Regards,
hm

If you are near a Costco, visit them. I paid 1499 for the same operating ones that another outfit wanted 7K for. Hearing test is free and you can even look inside your ear canal. Good luck.

I'm not just looking for hearing aids, I have some that I hate. I want something for Shooting that will work for every day. So far these are working as well as I can expect for $400 aide.
Not only that the battery last for more than 5 days straight twice as long as my actual hearing aids. Happy so far.

I think all you got for $400 were hearing amplifiers. There is a difference between hearing aids and amplifiers. I hear but can't always distinguish what was said. Amplifiers just make it louder. Doesn't help me at all. Its still just noise only louder.

Back