6mm 55 varmageddon hp for coyotes at 3500

varminter .223

I have a 6x6.8 that shoots the 55 hp varmageddon very well and I have a bunch. Anyone ever shot coyotes with this bullet. I also have a 6x45 that is accurate with them at about 3250. I'm curious how they would do.

Never shot that round or been around it but...
A coyote aint a "varmint"
smile.gif

I can tell you what 70 varmageddons do at .243 speeds. Taint purty but they are effective to say the least.
I just have this rifle sitting here with no use unless I find something to shoot with these 55 varmageddon hps.
My other 6x6.8s shoot 70 bt's well so I went that route for our spare night hunting gun. The ambidextrous .243 has me spoiled.
I'm afraid the 55s might not penetrate at the higher speeds.

Last edited:
Load up enough to get on paper and shoot a coyote. You will then be able to answer your own question. My favorite round for 22 caliber ( 223 and 22-250 ) is the 52 gr. Speer FBHP. 3250 fps with the 223 and 3400 fps with 22-250. They penetrate and rarely exit.

Rudy

I have shot dozens of coyotes with 40 gr Varmageddons out of my 223 with muzzle velocity around 3400. Most of them are smaller Southwest desert coyotes that probably only average around 20 -25 lbs. I have shot a few bigger coyotes with this combination and have not had an issue of not penetrating the shoulder. I really doubt you will have any issues with the 55 Varmageddons not penetrating the shoulder. I've tried the 55 Varmageddons in my two 6mm Creedmoors but had to slow them down to 3400 fps to get tighter groups so I stayed with heavier bullets in my 6mm Creedmoors. I would rather shoot a 80gr ballistic tip at 3400 fps than a 55 gr varmageddon at 3400 fps. If I could get 3900 fps with the 55 gr Varmageddon's with tight groups I would have been using them for coyotes.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I can tell you what 70 varmageddons do at .243 speeds. Taint purty but they are effective to say the least.
I just have this rifle sitting here with no use unless I find something to shoot with these 55 varmageddon hps.
My other 6x6.8s shoot 70 bt's well so I went that route for our spare night hunting gun. The ambidextrous .243 has me spoiled.
I'm afraid the 55s might not penetrate at the higher speeds.
Yeah, agree with that. 55s aren't enough. Depends on a lot of factors, of course

I think the 55 hps might work well in a 6x45 at 3250 though. I've still got room to go up in powder as well. 60 Sierras at 3000 have done great on the couple I've shot with the 6x45. I've got more uppers than coyotes lol. I've got 3 kids though so it's important to have triples of everything
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I've had good luck with 58gr. Vmax @ 3409 in my 6X6.8 no plashes and very few exits. I bought 3000 before the madness started so that's what I use.

I've also had good luck with 58gr V-max in the 6x45 and 6mm-204 about as fur friendly bullet that I've found in the small sixes. The 55gr NBT has worked for me also but neither are what I'd choose for a pelt hunting rifle

OK here is the thing...
Are you asking " will then kill coyotes well"
Or are you asking are, they a fur-friendly bullet?
Answer Yes than No.
I have yet found any bullet that is fur-friendly on 6mm anything.
I use that same bullet in my 6 MM rem but with the longer case and longer barrel, I get 4200 fps. Kills Oh yeah, spectacular.
Friendly not so much. I bet you can imagine what a prairie dog does. Think football full of blood...
drool.gif

I had 6mm Remington 700 custom built 1-12 twist barrel just for coyotes. It shoots 55-75 gr bullets excellent. I have checked speed with 58 gr vmax at 3950 average speed and yes it puts down a coyote like nothing I’ve ever shot before. 55 gr would shoot a FPS faster with same results. 55 is 55 it doesn’t matter if it’s 6 or 22. The difference is how much powder you can put behind it. Your 55gr shoot exactly like a 22-250 speed wise so it will hit just as hard. I reload and people don’t understand that to keep it simple think weight + speed = results. The case only determines how much powder you want burn.

A 223 shooting a 55 at 3150 will be the same as a 243 shooting a 55 at 3150. Both equal dead coyotes

I know there’s a little more to than I have explained but for the rule of simple this holds true. You will never see the difference at 400 yds or less

Out of my 243 I shoot a 85 gr. gameking and a 70 gr. spire point.
I so shoot the 50 gr. varmageddon bullets out of my 223 at coyotes with no problems. I have the spire point not the hollow point ones.

I would agree with post on here if it shoots good I would use it. What your barrel length on the 6x6.8 and what kind of barrel? I have a 22” bhw barrel with h322 im getting right 3500, with 8208 it’s a little slower but still accurate. So I have two powders to choose from which is a good thing currently.

Back