Coyote #1 with the new SH

bhallows

I went out the other night after receiving my new Super Hogster from NG. The wait was worth it. I am very impressed with the glass especially for the price point. I previously had a Pulsar Trail XQ50 and I have a Pulsar Helion mono. I really like the SH compared to my scanner.

Anyone on the fence of what to buy should definitely look into these. I appreciate the input from Korey and a lot of the others on here. When I was wanting to get back into the night game I reached out on here and one of the things that sold me was Kerry Carver mentioning that he leaves his Halo and Trij in the safe and takes out the SH. I have hunted with all three and so far I am super impressed.

Temps were in the single digits and I had no trouble sighting in quickly and heading out. First of many more I hope!

Thanks again guys.

Started the stand with about 8 minutes of lucky pecker on the lucky duck revolt, nothing showed up. Went into about 3 minutes of stuck fight, nothing. Switched to female whimpers and within a minute saw a coyote coming up the draw hard to the call. Ended up killing this big male about 150 yards from the call.

[img:center]https://flic.kr/p/2kEkqrq[/img]

Good stuff. Hold the Camera button and turn on the video, and we can enjoy it just like you did. Keep after them.

Took me to main page on Flickr/ no pictures !

Congrats on your success ! Good to see you guys buying these and posting the glitches you run across . Hopefully when I buy one the only one left will be me, lol !

Originally Posted By: bhallowsI went out the other night after receiving my new Super Hogster from NG. The wait was worth it. I am very impressed with the glass especially for the price point. I previously had a Pulsar Trail XQ50 and I have a Pulsar Helion mono. I really like the SH compared to my scanner.

So what do you think of the SH compared to the Xq50?

Anyone on the fence of what to buy should definitely look into these. I appreciate the input from Korey and a lot of the others on here. When I was wanting to get back into the night game I reached out on here and one of the things that sold me was Kerry Carver mentioning that he leaves his Halo and Trij in the safe and takes out the SH. I have hunted with all three and so far I am super impressed.

Temps were in the single digits and I had no trouble sighting in quickly and heading out. First of many more I hope!

Thanks again guys.

Started the stand with about 8 minutes of lucky pecker on the lucky duck revolt, nothing showed up. Went into about 3 minutes of stuck fight, nothing. Switched to female whimpers and within a minute saw a coyote coming up the draw hard to the call. Ended up killing this big male about 150 yards from the call.

[img:center]https://flic.kr/p/2kEkqrq[/img]

So what do you think of the SH compared to the Xq50?

Last edited:
Yes, congrats on your first kill with the new scope. I'm sure all of us would like to know how the SH compares to the Trail XQ.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYes, congrats on your first kill with the new scope. I'm sure all of us would like to know how the SH compares to the Trail XQ.

I had really good luck with my XQ50. At the time I was really pleased with it and it held a zero really well. My hunting partner had the same scope and sent it back 3 different times due to issues holding a zero. I ended up getting out of the thermal game and sold him mine.

Getting back in I wanted to look at different options and that is when I really researched the SH along with many others.

A couple major differences:

The lighting on the SH vs. the XQ50. The XQ50 seemed to be much more "light" and showed a lot more detail on trees, rocks, things on the horizon but did not show the animals in very good detail until they got up closer.

The SH really shows the animals much better and identifying what you are looking at is much easier. We have a lot of antelope in our area and a lot of the time it was hard to determine Antelope vs. Coyote at 300+ yards. With the SH it was night and day difference, much easier to identify.

When zeroing the rifle and scope the SH seemed to dial down to a much tighter group. I was using the same gun same bullets and the zero process seemed much easier even though they are zeroed the same way. With my pulsar I was ok but I could never get it dialed perfect. SH was perfect inch high groups at 100 in 15 minutes.

The size of the SH is very attractive too. My pulsar was about double the size and weight of the SH.

One negative is the external battery packs. Pulsar really has a nice battery that would get you through the night, I am still playing with the best way to mount an external battery since the TRB has been out of stock for awhile now.

Overall I would buy the SH over my pulsar based on my limited experience. I used PULSAR for about 2 years and one night out with the SH I could already tell I liked it much more.

The focus knob on the SH is very stiff compared to pulsar but I actually like that it is this way. It seems to be more of a set it and forget it focus. I was constantly messing with the focus on my XQ50.

Time will tell but so far I give the nod to the SH.

Back