Which .25" AR-15 cartridge? What are my options?

sidpost

I am thinking about a .25" AR-15 option. If I went .22", the 22-NXS would be hard to say no to but, I want more payload for a bigger target impact. My primary desire is explosive performance on dogs and coyotes.

Aggressive dogs from dope growers and small packs chasing nursing cows are the primary concern, though coyotes are a problem too with chickens and geese. I had a calf killed by dogs and I have been attacked by aggressive dogs so, I want to anchor them hard even with a less than ideal shot placement. Almost all shots are inside 200 yards with a lot of them inside 100 yards so, impact velocities should be relatively high and I don't want to 'ice pick' a dog or coyote with a bullet that doesn't expand or doesn't literally explode with a large compression wave upon impact. My goal is 'red mist' or a large puddle after impact where the offender used to be!

I'm hoping for something along the lines of a 25-06 or better ballistically. Will a 6.8SPC wildcat get me there? If not, would a 6mm Hagar or 6-6.8SPC be a better option? I don't mind a vertical single stack magazine but, it needs to be AR-15 compatible with a barrel, bolt, and magazine. I'm thinking about an 18" or 20" barrel but, I would consider something longer if it makes a tangible difference though I don't want a lot of weight in front of my hands and it needs to be maneuverable enough to use around a UTV and on a tractor or around trees so no 26" barrels!

TIA,
Sid

Or...just step up to a 16" .308 in AR10. There are some lighter ones out there now. My gen 1 DPMS is a bit bulky, but maybe find a gen 2 or build one. .308 has some smoke.

20" 25 DTI shooting 70 blitzkings or a 22" 6x6.8 or 6 DTI 10 twist shooting 70 Nosler BT's.
If you want to go 16 or 18" the 6.8 shooting 90 TNT's would be great. 25 DTI would be good at 18" too.
For aggressive charging threats I would not want a barrel over 20" or std. contour.
I also would not want a rebated rim such as the 22 Nosler in an auto loader if my well being depended on 100 percent cycling.

Last edited:
The 25 wssm is the hp king in the ar for factory rounds, and it will get you to 25-06 velocity or close to it. Lot's of old info on here on it. Limited mag capacity if that's a concern. The next step is probably the 25dti which is the 6.8 case necked down and improved somewhat.

Or like was said, a short 308, and load it with lighter bullets, is going to light up whatever dog it touches. Lots of good options on this one.

Originally Posted By: baitpileOr...just step up to a 16" .308 in AR10. There are some lighter ones out there now. My gen 1 DPMS is a bit bulky, but maybe find a gen 2 or build one. .308 has some smoke.

I have a 308Win DPMS G2 with the Carbon Fiber handguard but, I find it to be too heavy and bulky to find it as my companion for general farm chores.

My AR-15 options are a lot lighter, handier, and more practical to walk around with while doing chores, climbing into and out of UTV's, pickups, tractors, etc.

Originally Posted By: varminter .22320" 25 DTI shooting 70 blitzkings or a 22" 6x6.8 or 6 DTI 10 twist shooting 70 Nosler BT's.
If you want to go 16 or 18" the 6.8 shooting 90 TNT's would be great. 25 DTI would be good at 18" too.
For aggressive charging threats I would not want a barrel over 20" or std. contour.
I also would not want a rebated rim such as the 22 Nosler in an auto loader if my well being depended on 100 percent cycling.

EXACTLY! I was thinking slightly heavier for the quarter-bore but, with Blitzkings or TNTs. Better frontal area and cross-section at the expense of long-range high BC terminal performance with high velocity.

It may be worth trying something like the 90gr TNT's though in my current 6.8 AR-15. However, I really want to up the velocity as I find the 6.8 shots to date have been underwhelming on dogs where my 5.56 NATO spec 55gr loads actually worked better. However, I want more shock, a larger compression wave, and more hydraulic action disrupting nerves and organs. An aggressive dog at a full run directly at you needs a quick reaction and an accurate shot with an EFFECTIVE FIGHT STOPPER!

My last pasture stop was at 30~40 yards when I put a 5.56 round in its open mouth that did not exit its body. THAT WAS EFFECTIVE! And dramatic as the front shoulders dropped and its rear end came over the top and it was totally DRT!
tt1.gif

Originally Posted By: varminter .22320" 25 DTI shooting 70 blitzkings or a 22" 6x6.8 or 6 DTI 10 twist shooting 70 Nosler BT's.

I'd agree with the 70 Noslers moving fast. Would strike with authority.

Are these mean dogs coming to the call or are these some nasty neighbors coming over on their own?

Originally Posted By: MerditOriginally Posted By: varminter .22320" 25 DTI shooting 70 blitzkings or a 22" 6x6.8 or 6 DTI 10 twist shooting 70 Nosler BT's.

I'd agree with the 70 Noslers moving fast. Would strike with authority.

Are these mean dogs coming to the call or are these some nasty neighbors coming over on their own?

Some are big city rejects that bought a trailer house and put it on a half-acre and think a mean dog is a good idea.

Then there is the animal hoarder lady that was kicked out of her home in Dallas (evicted by animal control for too many dogs and bad living conditions for them) that brought her pack of dogs out here to the country to harass nursing cows and their calves.

And don't forget the meth cooks and dopers who use mean dogs to keep people away from their drugs. If you can smell marijuana smoke as you drive by, you can bet they have multiple nasty dogs.

The trend for mean dogs has really increased since Katrina. After being robbed (barns, houses, or cars) out here in the country, even 'good' people buy mean dogs to keep the criminals away.

Unfortunately, these dogs like to kill livestock and are not restrained at all, and will attack people like myself while on my own property. Packs of three or more are generally super aggressive. Singles can be nasty but, they behave differently and are easier to keep away from. With packs, I have to be really careful one didn't break-off to circle around to attack me from behind.

My friend one mile away has video game camera footage of packs of as many as 8 dogs crossing his property along with two smaller packs and a pair of young coyotes.

Im not as well versed on the .25 cals as the others here but .25-45 Sharps would be my pick since it shares everything but a barrel. Downside being case capacity. I suppose if you're looking for balls to the wall speed and energy transfer, the other wildcats would be the ticket with downside being availability of components and likely needing to form all of your cases.

I would say 20" is as long as you will want, longer than that and it will be unwieldly on a tractor or side x side. Ask me how I know. I like a 16" or 18" for AR's. My 20's are fun but too long for most of that sort of riding. Used to ride 9 hrs in a tractor cab with a 16" carbine propped in the corner for 2 and 4 legged vermin and it was the perfect length for inside 300 yards.

I own several.25 caliber ar's. I just sold my.25 DTI. It's a great round but doesn't give me much more than the 25-45. I load a 90gr. bullet with Reloader 7 and get right at 3000fps from an 18" barrel.
It's incredibly accurate. easily sub 1/2" groups at 100.
I have a bolt gun in 25-45 as well and actually getting ready to build my daughter a lightweight 25-45.
The 70gr bullets should be pretty close to 3200 FPS.
For me as a calling rifle, in most of the areas I hunt, you aren't going to get much more than a 400yd shot, and typically it's 200 and in. With an 87 gr Speer, and a 250yd zero, I can shoot point of aim out to 300yds and have no question about if it is going to hit the mark. I'm 3.8" low at 300yds 3" high at 150yds. This gives me a very comfortable shooting range.

Just my opinion. Everyone is different. I am a quarter-bore fanatic.

Back