300 Weatherby mag.

sniper270

I'm trying to help a friend figure out a load for a rifle he inherited from his brother. Does anyone have a decent load for 300 Weatherby magnum? I have shot the round but never reloaded it.

At this point, I would advise you first to look at your stock of bullets and powder, then compare that to loads in the manuals to make sure you have components to work with. That stuff is pretty hard to get right now!

I have owned 300 for many yrs.
I have used RL22 Works very well for me.large mag federal primers.215m.A new powder 7977 it also may be easier to find. 165 grain nosler ballistic tip really is accurate. Keep the barrel cool...it is a large case that uses lots of powder. Good luck
k.

I have been using H-4831 in mine for years. Accuracy is great with 180s and I have never had a reason to try another powder.

Originally Posted By: John HeiserI have owned 300 for many yrs.
I have used RL22 Works very well for me.large mag federal primers.215m.A new powder 7977 it also may be easier to find. 165 grain nosler ballistic tip really is accurate. Keep the barrel cool...it is a large case that uses lots of powder. Good luck
k.

I can confirm the 7977 is a bit easier to find, bought two pounds of it for the price of 1 lb of H1000 to try in .300 Win Mag

I havent ever loaded .300 WBY but I would imagine it will like the same powders as the Win Mag. CCI250 Primers are all I will use in the magnum cases

If your buddy is in NC may well depend on plans, casual range loads, deer hunting, or a trip West? I’d start in the casual level, within listed data. With full loads the recoil will be up a bit, yeah, obviously.

I run a 165 grand slam over 78 grains of imr 4350 with a federal 215 and norma brass.
That is a load out a very old weatherby guide. Very hot and very accurate out of my rifle so back it off 10 percent and sneak up on it. This is in a MK.V. I WOULD NOT SHOOT THIS IN ANYTHING ELSE.

I hit the jackpot at the local trade days. 4 boxes of hornady brass for the 300wea. 10 bucks each. Loaded ammo for 50 with 150 interbonds.

Never loaded for the Weatherby, but 2nd the motion for 4350 based on 308 Norma Mag and 300 Win mag.

Hey, Sandy, howya been? Long time no see. You still boilin' oil and fightin' those turnarounds?

Regards,
Clarence

Yes sir. Hurricanes and freezes are making Uncle Sam a fortune off of my overtime taxes.These people make decisions like democrats. Always a knee jerk reaction instead of being proactive.
How ya been?

Been there, done that; neither any fun. Glad to see ya getting a little time off now and again.

I'm still on the right side of the grass, that's half the battle nowadays.
lol.gif

Regards,
Clarence

I have loaded nosler 125gr BT out of a Remington 700 300 WBY. I am using imr 4350. That load shoots good out of that gun. I have used it on deer hogs and coyotes.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remOriginally Posted By: John HeiserI have owned 300 for many yrs.
k.

I can confirm the 7977 is a bit easier to find, bought two pounds of it for the price of 1 lb of H1000 to try in .300 Win Mag

I havent ever loaded .300 WBY but I would imagine it will like the same powders as the Win Mag. CCI250 Primers are all I will use in the magnum cases

I have since tried 7977 with fair results. Got new brass coming and gonna use premium bullets to further test it.

Back