Need help with 20 Practical 4/15/2021 Update

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiGreg, do you turn the necks on your brass so the bushings are consistent? Or is your brass's neck thickness consistent enough where you always get the same neck tension?

I bought a crap load of Winchester brass years ago that I use that is very consistent. When I venture out into the other brands I do them by head stamp. I haven't seen much variance in thickness enough to make a difference. I do use different bushings for different brass though. If the brass is work hardened I will go an extra 0.0005 smaller in sizing.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: Clayton86I just tried it on a few quick. Somethings not right it’s only doing the very tip it seems. Idk this is all very new to me I’ll have my buddy help me set up once I get the decapping rod issue worked out.

Sounds like your bushing is floating up. Did you use the decapping rod holder on top of it for a spacer? If not, that's probably your problem.

Yeah that is a quick head scratching learning experience right there. LOL

Greg

Yeah the bushing was floating up. I took the ball off the rod and put it back not knowing before the rod held the bushing in place. I just did 5 then used the little crow trimmer and debured and chamfered the 5 I did. I guess the 204 rod and ball is for the ID he explained. I’m sure I’m doing extra steps or out of order for now till I get everything figured out.

One thing I've found helpful is to do a slight outside chamfer on the parent case. It helps as the case mouth enters the bushing. I also float the bushing about 1/16th of a turn and that will help alignment. Be aware that the bushing will not size all the e=way down in the shoulder but that doesn't cause chambering issues. It will be very close but not perfect.

Greg

Mine is not fussing about bullets, has shot well with Sierra, Hornady, Nosler,Speer. Have not tried the BIB 40 in it, been shooting those in my 204r, very accurate and good fur bullet on coyote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aubie515Do the Dogtown bullets shoot well in the 20 Practical?

Not as well as the V/Z Max's but good enough out to 150+/-. Minute of P-dog.

Back