Guns you could sell but will not sell

You know, I probably "could" sell any of them, but the last ones to go would be the Browning Auto 5 my parents gave me for my 14th birthday (my first "real" gun) and my Sako L691 in 6.5x55. I'd also not like to part with the 1911 I bought when I turned 21 ("just because I can!") and my current big game favorite, a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM.

But "could" and "will" are totally different, right? I consider most good investments that I hope my kids will fight over when I die.
smile.gif

I've thrown around the idea of off loading a few to the LGS. But the ones that will always stay are my 1919 manufactured Winchester Model 1912 in 12 gauge, that was the first gun I owned, traded a neighbor 2 summers of mowing his yard for it. The other that will be staying is the first I ever bought from the same neighbor, Marlin 81DL .22 that is accurate as can be, and for $50, I couldn't turn it down.

I have a 300 win mag Rem 700 with cheap plastic stock that I bought new as my first big game rifle. It was my only centerfire rifle for about 15 years. I haven't used my old 300 win mag on a hunt in the last 5 or 6 years and probably won't take it on a hunt anytime in the future unless it is for sedimental reasons.

I now have a custom 300 win mag on order, a 338 lapua, and numerous other medium and small center fire rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA or less. Regardless of what loads I work up, I've never been able to get it to shoot better than 1 MOA. There is no reason for me to keep it besides sedimental reasons. If I have someone I know that wants a 300 win mag, I would probably sell it to them for a very good price. I don't really need the money so I'll probably still have that gun 30 years from now. Maybe by then I'll have a grandson that I could give it to.

I have a few like yours Rustydust. We are still too young to let them go.
Mine go back for 50+ years. Just looking for a warm spring.
Last month I bought a rifle, I had sold one over 40 years ago.
It needs a little work, but that is what I do best. It still has a story to tell.
Bet you can find a ground squirrel to tame on a warm morning.
Watch the wind.

I have a couple of heirlooms I would not sell. A Savage model 99 takedown model in .250-3000 made in 1926,so it will be a century old in a few years. While not in pristine condition, I'm sure it would fetch a few dollars. Also, an old Model 10 Remington pump shotgun, as they don't make them like that anymore! Love the downward ejection in the duck blind.

Well the little Merkel is out of the question.

I have a safe full of weapons that I suppose I could sell but many of them have sentimental ties, some Are such good hunting weapons I wouldn't let go because I doubt if I could replace them.

The guns I my parents bought me are gone except for a single shot 22 that has made the rounds through the family and finally 50yrs later back to me. If any of my great grand children need a 22 to learn on it will leave again. I wore out the shotguns they bought me shooting trap through high school.

There is a Nikko shotgun that is Euro sales version of a Win 101 I bought in the service when I was shooting Int. Trap, it has over 250,000 shells through it in competition and then re-choked to shoot live birds at hunt tests. I don't think I could sell it it has a lot of memories in it.

At the time of acquiring the Nikko I lust after a Darne SxS, what a unique shotgun I could only afford one so it had to be the Nikko, finally when I retired I bought a Darne as a retirement gift to myself, I can't hit a pheasant with it, not bad on the skeet field but live birds no way. I still love it.

I just bought a one that has eluded me for 57 years. I saw one like it in a gunshop in 1965 and went back to the dorm to get the cash($25.), one of my buddies bought it as soon as I walked out the door of the shop. A transition 10ga(percussion to cartridge 1870's) in the form of an English SxS Upland 10ga weight 7.75 lbs. I'll be hunting with it next season. It won't go down the road.

A 35 Whelen that I had re-bored from a 30-06, nothing special but I got to sit with the gunsmith all day talking guns and watching him do the work on the gun, kind of a treasure.

The 222 Sako Vixen full stock, love it and killed a number of coyotes with it, another treasure.

The 222 Rem that I built(did all the work myself) and won the PM Egg Shoot with.

I don't care for AR's they just don't do anything for me, mine is the Egg Shoot Gun I won, it would be hard to turn that one loose.

The pair of Hungarian sxs's that I hunt with and use to shoot SC

The pair of Swedish hammer shot guns that I hunt waterfowl with, I need one more as one is going down hill do to some shoddy work in its previous life..

And then the drillings.

It has taken me a long time to acquire many of these at prices I can afford. The gun fund can't burn a hole in your pocket you need to have it ready when that once in a lifetime shot comes along. And I rarely buy something as an investment but as something that will be shot .

Last edited:
Springfield M1 Garand
Remington 1903A3
Remington Rand 1911
IBM M1Carbine
All mfg in 1943, didn’t collect them for their year of mfg, just turned out that way.
1953 K38 Combat Masterpiece that was my dad’s.

Last edited:
I don’t have any generational hand me downs or anything rare or unique. My interests and tastes have changed and I’ve parted with several guns I said I would never sell but most have gone to friends and family members who use them far more than I would have. My kids will inherit some really nice guns some day and I hope they will carry some sentimental value.

My first gun, a J.C. Higgins single shot bolt action .410 shotgun and a Springfield bolt action 30-30 that was my 8th grade graduation present. Killed my first several deer and first hog with it. Have not shot it in a long time.

Most of my guns are here for a reason. I have at one point desired to have each and every one of them (otherwise I wouldnt have bought them!)...I have a few heirlooms that of course I can't sell. I have a few guns though that don't mean too much, for me it's a hobby and I like to buy sell and trade (mostly buy), but every once in awhile you have to let go of something good to make room for something better. There are very few that I have that I will sell, but only to buy something else that I desire more. It's a terrible addiction. But it could be much worse! I don't gamble, drink (too much) or blow my money on anything else. If something ever happens to me at least my family can have something to sell (or keep if they desire) and get something out of. Until then I will enjoy every last one of them!

Last edited:
I have a couple I bought or inherited from family members that I'll keep for always. I don't typically sell many firearms, and the uncertainty of these times makes me even more reluctant to do so. A couple I would never sell are M77/22WMR's, a pair of stainless synthetic with boat paddle stocks. They are shooters.

Back