Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3262935 - 12/25/20 10:48 AM New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build
Gman757 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: FL

As a lot of you know night hunting rigs are relatively heavy most of the time so I decided to do a lightweight build just to see how it would turn out. I did not want to deal with any pistol brace issues so I submitted the paperwork for an SBR build and I have to say it was worth the trouble. It's nice to pick up a rig that doesn't weigh a ton.

It's based around a Battle Arms Development BAD556-LW billet receiver set. Most of the parts were chosen with weight in mind.....12.5 inch AR15 Performance barrel.... SLR Handguard...JP low mass bolt carrier.

The first receiver set I purchased was a loose fit on the barrel so I sent the receiver set and barrel to Battle Arms Development and they shipped back a set with a nice tight fit. I highly recommend them for customer service.

The thermal is a Trijicon 20mm REAP-IR and I also have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 mounted in a Vortex QD mount sighted in so I can swap it to a day rig also.

I have it running on the edge with the SLR adjustable gas block. My brass is ejecting at 2:30-3:00 but it's cycling dependably and recoil and blowback are relatively low so I will see how it goes after a few times out in the field. So far so good.....I killed a big sow with it first time out last week.

Note...cross posted in Hog Heaven...AR's.....Night Calling.

Edited by Gman757 (12/25/20 11:32 AM)

#3263235 - 12/27/20 06:21 PM Re: New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build [Re: Gman757]
C. Harper Offline

Loc: N Texas
Good looking setup. You can’t go wrong with a Trijicon.
Thanks for posting.

#3263507 - 12/29/20 11:58 AM Re: New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build [Re: Gman757]
Bowfisher Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Iowa
Very sweet build!!

#3271687 - 02/22/21 05:37 PM Re: New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build [Re: Gman757]
Willy Brotz Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: USA
How is this running for you now after a couple months? This setup seems to be just about the ultimate night hog hunter setup. Any chance you got the overall weight on this? What bullet and load are you going with? That sure looks nice though, I really like that.

#3271914 - 02/24/21 10:50 AM Re: New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build [Re: Willy Brotz]
Gman757 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: FL
Originally Posted By: Willy Brotz
How is this running for you now after a couple months? This setup seems to be just about the ultimate night hog hunter setup. Any chance you got the overall weight on this? What bullet and load are you going with? That sure looks nice though, I really like that.

Thx Willy. The weight is 7 lbs 7 oz. with the thermal mounted and without the suppressor. (The spec on the 20mm REAP-IR is 16 oz.)

I run 110 grain Nosler Accubond SSA ammo. It shoots well and does a pretty good job putting the hogs down.

Moderator:  SkyPup 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.