New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build

Gman757

As a lot of you know night hunting rigs are relatively heavy most of the time so I decided to do a lightweight build just to see how it would turn out. I did not want to deal with any pistol brace issues so I submitted the paperwork for an SBR build and I have to say it was worth the trouble. It's nice to pick up a rig that doesn't weigh a ton.

It's based around a Battle Arms Development BAD556-LW billet receiver set. Most of the parts were chosen with weight in mind.....12.5 inch AR15 Performance barrel.... SLR Handguard...JP low mass bolt carrier.

The first receiver set I purchased was a loose fit on the barrel so I sent the receiver set and barrel to Battle Arms Development and they shipped back a set with a nice tight fit. I highly recommend them for customer service.

The thermal is a Trijicon 20mm REAP-IR and I also have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 mounted in a Vortex QD mount sighted in so I can swap it to a day rig also.

I have it running on the edge with the SLR adjustable gas block. My brass is ejecting at 2:30-3:00 but it's cycling dependably and recoil and blowback are relatively low so I will see how it goes after a few times out in the field. So far so good.....I killed a big sow with it first time out last week.

70M7CCl.jpg
pPVdcEP.jpg

qX3O8y2.jpg

Note...cross posted in Hog Heaven...AR's.....Night Calling.

Last edited:
How is this running for you now after a couple months? This setup seems to be just about the ultimate night hog hunter setup. Any chance you got the overall weight on this? What bullet and load are you going with? That sure looks nice though, I really like that.

Originally Posted By: Willy BrotzHow is this running for you now after a couple months? This setup seems to be just about the ultimate night hog hunter setup. Any chance you got the overall weight on this? What bullet and load are you going with? That sure looks nice though, I really like that.

Thx Willy. The weight is 7 lbs 7 oz. with the thermal mounted and without the suppressor. (The spec on the 20mm REAP-IR is 16 oz.)

I run 110 grain Nosler Accubond SSA ammo. It shoots well and does a pretty good job putting the hogs down.

Back