Wisconsin wolf

murdoc

Anyone draw a tag? My neighbor and I both drew. Crazy odds. I have a couple contacts I’m waiting on answers on. How do you plan on hunting them? Would be cool to get super hogster footage. We are probably 2 hours from know wolf territory. Hope to make something work on short notice.

Quote:The Journal reports that the 82 kills represent 69% of the statewide harvest quota of 119 wolves for the season. Hunters and trappers must report their harvest within 24 hours of the time of kill.......................By DNR estimates, the Badger State had 1,195 wolves in 256 packs during the late winter of 2020.

What about the other 37? Doesn't look like they have a shortage w/1113 remaining according to official estimates.

Don't miss the comments on article.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerQuote:What about the other 37?

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/w...viated-hunt-dnr

They knew that once they closed the season there would still be people out hunting or who had already killed that they didn't know about. Turns out they killed 216, or 80% more than they intended.

OH, bummer! Too bad they didn't kill a whole lot more. The only good wolf is a dead wolf.

I'm gonna guess that the DNR is just happy it ended very quickly.

Seems like even if you draw a tag you are at a big disadvantage unless using dogs (they say about 90% of kills were assisted by use of dogs). The season only lasted 2 days and without dogs I'd have a big pile of beaver carcasses out, but meat bait isn't allowed. Traps work 24/7 but what is the chance of catching one in 2 days?

If I didn't have access to dogs I'd be asking for a change to the permit system, or maybe not allow dogs first few days of season. No easy answers, but at least you got one season down and hopefully many more to follow.

That is good that they actually had a season. I'm sure they are underestimating the wolf population in Wisconsin, just like it is underestimated in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana.

Back