22 nosler 18” barrel

brockel

I’m looking at putting a 22 nosler together with an 18” barrel. What kind of velocities are you guys getting with 50 grain bullets out of it and not wrecking brass? Debating whether to do the 22 nosler on an AR or just get a bolt action 22-250 for night calling

To start out I'll state that brass life in the best scenario has been poor in two different Noslers I have shot. I would stack it high and deep if I were going to shoot it a great deal. Different lots are definitely different on hardness. The 50 grainers were starting to tear up brass. I changed lots and the 55's were quite well mannered in the damage area.

Out of an 18" BCA POS barrel I got:

50 Grain Nolser BT
8208 30.5 3405
H4895 30.5 3387

55 Nolser BT
AA 2520 29.5 3195
CFE 223 32.0 3217
H335 29.5 3235
RL 15 30.5 3162
TAC 28.5 3116

Greg

Originally Posted By: brockelWas hoping the brass situation had gotten better. Guess not

Proprietary brass production does not always bode well for us reloaders. You either take it or leave it. The alternative is making NOSGAR brass out of 6 HAGAR. Just set the shoulder back and trim. You loose 1.09 CC of capacity but I believe the brass is more consistent. I use it for the 22-NXS that stomps all over the Nosler and gives you 22-250 performance in the AR with excellent case life.

Greg

I've shot a bunch of 22 Nosler and the brass is not a problem in my experience.
Cfe 223 is just over 3300 in an 18" with 55s.
Ar is the only way to for night hunting.
I would recommend a longer barrel though. Forward weight to balance the gun on the pod really helps stability. I'm shooting a 24" heavy barrel .243 on an ambidextrous bca ar-10 upper now and it is the berries. I even have a radius rangefinder hanging out front on the handguard. It's no walking varminter but it is hard on the coyotes.

Anything run hard will swipe. It's bolt timing related. The brass will take many firings. The only thing that happens is eventually the case head will pound out wider to about . 380" and it won't fit in the shell holder. Cull those and proceed.

Last edited:
I believe that 22N brass is still available in a couple places.

I have no experience with this caliber... but, if it where me i would go with a longer barrel and a longer gas system than rifle length. I have heard White Oak has a +1 but can't verify.

An adjustable gas block is also something i bet you are considering.

Yes you want rifle plus 1 gas and white oak does offer it and it would be my first choice. This is speaking from experience with several. Cfe 223 is the powder for 55s. I used h4895 with 50's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I've shot a bunch of 22 Nosler and the brass is not a problem in my experience.
Cfe 223 is just over 3300 in an 18" with 55s.
Ar is the only way to for night hunting.
I would recommend a longer barrel though. Forward weight to balance the gun on the pod really helps stability. I'm shooting a 24" heavy barrel .243 on an ambidextrous bca ar-10 upper now and it is the berries. I even have a radius rangefinder hanging out front on the handguard. It's no walking varminter but it is hard on the coyotes.

Anything run hard will swipe. It's bolt timing related. The brass will take many firings. The only thing that happens is eventually the case head will pound out wider to about . 380" and it won't fit in the shell holder. Cull those and proceed.

I’ll have a suppressor out on the end so that’s why I’m wanting to keep barrel on the shorter side

My 12 twist 22" White oak barrel run 50 grain NBTs at 3550, and that is only after I backed it down to the most accurate load.The brass has not been a problem at all. I have 100 pcs that have 5 firings on them and the primer pockets are still tight. I agree that an AR is the best way to go with a night rig. If that is the main purpose, then I'm not sure why so many shy away from longer barrels. They usually have a collapsible stock and are usually free standing on a tripod. 22" or 24" barrel and you have a rig that is knocking on the 22-250's door, without making brass for something else or trying to find an Olympic Arms. I have enough new Nosler brass to shoot out 3 barrels and haven't needed it. Was plentiful and cheap back when I bought it. In my opinion......the 22 Nosler is THE perfect fit to fill the gap between the 223 and 22-250.

Got a load worked up. 53 grain vmax CFE223 33 grains for 3335fps. A lot of 3s in there If I could post pictures I would. Shoots really well

Back