243 BXV Expansion??

Bubba26

Hello,

Shot a dog this morning at about 225yds with Brownings 65gr BXV right behind the shoulder broadside. He hit the ground hard and didn't twitch. I figured sweet, game over, but about a minute later he's back up and and making for the treeline, had to hit him again. Second shot was through the guts and did the trick. Both bullets exited but left tiny entrance and exits. Almost like 0 expansion. Anyone else have experience with this load? Its the first time I've used them and I'm not impressed so far. 35Lb - ish male

-Bubba

I've never used them, but, keep in mind that a sample of one doesn't show much about bullet performance, either way. I'd switch bullets if that happened to, say, 5-6 in a row.

I used Nosler 55gr B-tips one season, in my 243 T-C Icon. I had more runners and floppers with that bullet than any other bullet, before or since. The 55gr B-tip in my 222RemMag works great.

The 75gr V-max in the 243 is a hammer. I went 30+ coyotes without an exit, from 20yds to 400+.

So, shoot a bunch more with that combo and see what happens.

Ok, that sounds like good advice. Could have just been a fluke. Thanks man. I hope so because I still have 30 more rounds of it and nobody around here has ANY ammo whatsoever so I may be stuck with it for a while..

Originally Posted By: crapshootDon't shoot behind the shoulder, put it right through the shoulder. Coyote anatomy is a bit different than deer.

I agree. Shoot them in the shoulder if you don't want them to run. I've seen coyotes run 30+ yards after taking a shot behind the shoulder and having their lungs liquified and exit holes bigger than a grapefruit. Coyotes are tough animals for their size.

I'd say give it another try and see what happens. There's no way to explain why some coyotes die on the spot and some run a little ways. That's just the way it is. If the bullet isn't expanding or something it's not dumping all of its energy into the animal. That's when shoulder shooting them will produce better results. Bone might be what it takes to shatter or flatten that bullet. Some bullets can't handle hitting bone so shooting them in the shoulder will result in runners. It's a trial and error kind of thing but as was mentioned 1 coyote ain't gonna tell you whether or not it's a good coyote bullet.

Back