Is the .22 cal pellet rifle good enough for racoon hunting

For full on face head shots it will work for trapping,for hunting I would want more power and weight than a pellet will give.

When you say "pellet rifle" that is a big blanket term.
With the most powerful springer using the correct heavy pellet, yes. I've done it.
Most PCP's with a good heavy pellet yes, I have taken several in the 20-25 ft range head shots with no problem

Use a PCP rifle capable of shooting 22cal slugs and you won't have any issues. Only problem will be cost of pellets and gun.
Hope this helps.

A good pellet rifle with a premium hunting pellet, 15-16 gr at 1000-1100 fps is 40 flb at the muzzle. A 22 rim fire 40 gr high velocity will be about 60 flb at 200 yards. I have shot many hundreds of raccoon, hunting with dogs and trapping. Tree shooting raccoon cheap 22 rimfire rounds often require more than one body shot. Shooting live trapped raccoon, the cb and shorts are marginal on large boar raccoon(from pistols). The high velocity lr will go through the head and can damage live trap wire.

Last edited:
I’d want something stronger than all but the most upper end ‘pellet rifles’ for coons. With those high $$ guns people have shot pigs & deer, though not the norm.

Even a regular 22 is barely enough with shots at more than arms length(trapping). I’m referring to 40 yard ‘body shots’.

If needing to limit noise for trapping, I’d look to those quiet type, 20 grain loadings.

For normal hunting, the 17 HMR, 22 mag, & at times a shotgun works well.

Back