Form 1 ?'s

GWHunter

Looking into getting into making a form 1 can or two. The application process looks pretty straight forward from the ATF stand point. The material options and vendors and build details all are a little overwhelming. Looking to make a fairly light weight can that would be used on a 556 AR for coyote hunting and range practice. Would also need to be used on a 11.5" barrel. Can you make a form 1 can that would be just as quiet and reliable as a commercially available form 4? Does anybody have any recomendations or suggestions? Thanks all.

Crickets? I am wondering the same thing except I don't want a can on a short barrel rifle.

I just want a can made by me and put on a 223 bolt action rifle.

What do I need in the meantime to get this done?? ATF wise, confusing as can be going to their site.

I think the problem is there are not many guys with experience with Form 1 suppressors that have looked at this post. I've considered doing a Form 1 but from all the research that I've done, it doesn't look like it is worth saving a little time and money for a suppressor that may not be as good for noise reduction and as durable as an established form 4 suppressor. It would be very frustrating to pay $200 for a stamp on a suppressor that I wasn't 100% satisfied with.

I've never done a form 1 but it wouldn't be hard to do, especially with available components one can purchase and assemble once your PW is approved.

ONLY problem here is your saving a few hundred dollars to piece something together that has minimal to no data providing reliability, or performance, and you're at your own risk if something goes wrong, all while abiding the ATF guidelines.

Most of the fellas I deal with have decades of experience in the industry, with a wealth of knowledge based on components, structure, assembly, data, etc. Most of which you are not getting with a Form 1 or the machined materials... Most of the suppressor manufactures are meticulous about baffle spacing, internal volume, baffle design, etc. etc. etc. There is an art to making equipment perform on a higher level.

I may sometime try one for the heck of it... And I'd honestly say, without knowing the physics that many of these guys study to withhold and cool gasses in the most efficient way possible, I'd be throwing $hit at the wall, just to see if it'd stick, and who knows, maybe it would.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI've never done a form 1 but it wouldn't be hard to do, especially with available components one can purchase and assemble once your PW is approved.

ONLY problem here is your saving a few hundred dollars to piece something together that has minimal to no data providing reliability, or performance, and you're at your own risk if something goes wrong, all while abiding the ATF guidelines.

Most of the fellas I deal with have decades of experience in the industry, with a wealth of knowledge based on components, structure, assembly, data, etc. Most of which you are not getting with a Form 1 or the machined materials... Most of the suppressor manufactures are meticulous about baffle spacing, internal volume, baffle design, etc. etc. etc. There is an art to making equipment perform on a higher level.

I may sometime try one for the heck of it... And I'd honestly say, without knowing the physics that many of these guys study to withhold and cool gasses in the most efficient way possible, I'd be throwing $hit at the wall, just to see if it'd stick, and who knows, maybe it would.

He speaks wisdom, he does.

i threw sh!t at a wall, and it stuck pretty dang nicely. its amazing what you can learn on the internet and accomplish with not more than a basic drill press (or even hand drill) when doing a solvent trap based build.

you might be amazed what a few gently modified freeze plugs in a tube can do for you. i know i am and so has about everyone else i've been around with it. defiantly not the lightest thing on the planet - but on par with a SAKER 7.62.

re: the paperwork was fairly straightforward. i made up a serial #, designated the caliber and OAL and sent the form and $200 to the alphabet guys.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei threw sh!t at a wall, and it stuck pretty dang nicely. its amazing what you can learn on the internet and accomplish with not more than a basic drill press (or even hand drill) when doing a solvent trap based build.

If you look closely, it's slowly starting to drip off, chunk by chunk... I'm not talking about your form 1 can either... Well, wait... Maybe I am. jk.

I second the Facebook Form 1 page. Lots and lots to see and read. Lots of information on YouTube too. I’m in the process of getting my form 1 approved.

I built 3 Form 1 suppressor's last year using 8" "Solvent Traps". It took 6-8 weeks to get my stamps, and then I drilled out the end cap's and baffle's.
I did one for my 40 cal carbines, one rimfire, and one for my AR's up to 6.8mm.
The rimfire can works as good as my Silencer Co. Spectre II can.
The 40 cal can works great with sub-sonic 40 S&W loads.
The 6.8mm can works good, but it isn't as quiet as any of the 3 commercial 30 caliber cans, but it also doesn't have as much volume since it's 3 inches shorter.

Price wise, it's a great way to save a bunch of money. My Titanium 30 caliber cans cost around $1k each plus the $200 stamp. My Form 1 suppressors cost me $150 each plus the $200 stamp.
OjrwaHh.jpg

p4CZVTc.jpg

0601zZ4.jpg

Yes you can produce a nice quiet can on a form 1

go give this forum a try they are into actually designing the can prior to build one has to have a basic idea of length etc before approval
https://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

you will find some extremely helpful folks that do this for a hobby.

here is a sample of discussions

"Been testing a couple of designs and need verification of results, all using 9mm ammo on 11mm bores.

I've noticed that K baffles produce a higher pitch than M baffles (lower pitch) on the same lengthed bodies/tubes with same number of baffles.

Lower pitch seemed to sound quieter to my ear.

Amplitude of suppression didn't change much from K vs M baffles.

Length of the tube increasing did decrease amplitude / volume, provided baffle types and number are constant.

M baffles seemed to have better suppression over length, as the tubes got longer (tested 8, 10, and 12 inches). K baffles see, to have optimul suppression at 10in.

Can anyone else confirm if these observations seem accurate?
"
one member white russian is actually quite knowledagable as well as many others (capt. Link) quite a few have FFL's (type 7 manufacter) with a SOT (what many refer to as a class 3) so they are able to test cans legally at whim without a form 1 they list their builds on a monthly or semi annual report don't recall for sure on the type 7 end, and they pay a excise tax (trust me not cheaper than a form 1) with renewal annually, insurance, etc etc. form 1 or even form 4 is way cheaper.
Form 1 processing time is usually faster than form 4, just remember you cant bore out the baffles UNTIL YOU HAVE THE APPROVED FORM 1 IN HAND.... and i wouldn't have any componets until Form 1 was submitted ..

Last edited:
Back