6x6.8 AR

Corn Fed

Looking to grab a 6x6.8. Anyone know of anything in stock and who would you recommend? Ive read plenty of good things about Ritch Johnson I'm really thinking about ordering from him. Any others to look at?

Last edited:
Looking at the 6mm options, the 6mm Hagar and 24GPC from Mad Dog Weapon Systems are all tempting.

The 6mm AR website has a lot of different 6mm AR-15 options to complicate your choice!
wink.gif

In the .25/.257 caliber, the 25DTI has my attention. The 6.8/.277 bullet options for the most part don't really appeal to me. Big heavy and/or tough bullets don't have enough velocity for me but, they do crush a feral hog shoulder if I miss the shoulder crease or when I need to take a cross-body shot. For me, on dogs, the 5.56 55gr M193 actually works better IMHO though I'm not looking to save fur or butcher the critter. M193 does a better job on an aggressive dog or one chasing nursing cows.

A blown-out 6.8SPC case with the shoulder moved forward and Ackley-ized is the one I keep coming back to with a short bullet to preserve room in the case to stuff more powder in within reason (I don't want any over-pressure problems).

A short-throated 6mm Hagar though running lightweight varmint bullets in the 3100PFS range is tempting. With Hornady making brass these days at $0.65/case, brass problems don't seem near as bad as people make them out to be. It's not the best choice for loading long heavy high
BC bullets though.

If 3,100 fps is all you need, then the 6x45 can supply that easily with 55, 58, 60 gr. bullets, and all the brass you could ever want. Plus nothing more needed other than one pass through a 6x45 die.

I will highly recommend Ritch Johnson too. He is very helpful and GLshooter works a side with him and has tons of data.

I think im looking for something with a little more pep than 3100. The 22x6.8 is interesting as well as the 22 Nosler. But would love to stay in the 6mm. I don't think the 6x 45 is for me unless I'm misinformed about speeds. Double up...what can't you run 55 and 65 gr pills at in the 6x45?

We had seasleys bought and paid for but he pmed me saying he damaged the barrel while removing it and it needed touched up. Idk what that means exactly.

Last edited:
I know you want to stay with a 6mm, but you might take a look at Ritch's 22NXS...it sounds more complicated than it is, but it is very simple, brass can be bought in bulk and it will definitely give you great velocities with 55gr bullets. Do a search on it here.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonI know you want to stay with a 6mm, but you might take a look at Ritch's 22NXS...it sounds more complicated than it is, but it is very simple, brass can be bought in bulk and it will definitely give you great velocities with 55gr bullets. Do a search on it here.

I talked with him a couple weeks ago and he mentioned it. Sounds like a great round.

I'll vouch for Dedicated Technologies 6DTI. It's my favorite coyote go to.

Shooting 70 grain BT's at 3250. You would love it if you're not interested in shooting the heavies. I say that as the case is a bit too long for the heavies in an AR. But I know of nothing better for up to 70 grain bullets!

I have a 6x6.8 from Ritch and love it. It's great with anything up to 87s and maybe up to 95s. The 70s are my favorite. Anything heavier you may like a .243LBC or 6mm ARC.

I have a wildcat variant of the 6x6.8. It’s a Tac6 so basically a 6x41 and I’m pushing a 87 grain Vmax to about 3150 out of a 18”tube. And 107 Custom competitions to 2585.

Jake, I've got a Tac6 barrel too. Pm me your load info and speeds if possible, I'd like to not derail the whole thread.

OP, if you're just hunting, the 6.6.8 was the way to go!

I picked up a 6DTI. For the guys running one...What's your loading process for new brass? Do u change the load when u have fire formed brass to load?

I have a 6x6.8 barrel on order from Rich. When I spoke to him he mentioned several powders that work good in this round. He mentioned 4895 as a good powder. I have plenty of 4895.
Anyone with this round have any data using 4895?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: randy mertaI have a 6x6.8 barrel on order from Rich. When I spoke to him he mentioned several powders that work good in this round. He mentioned 4895 as a good powder. I have plenty of 4895.
Anyone with this round have any data using 4895?
Thanks

PM sent. I suspect I have a tad of that available.
thumbup1.gif

Greg

Back