Hogster 35 Objective Lens Focus Ring

Dave2

I thought I was getting weak in the hands till a friend stopped today to look at the Hogster and had the comment on the difficulty to adjust this Focus Ring.

Maybe ok down south in hog country, but in the cold I need Chanel Lock Pliers to adjust the focus.

Whats a solution?

TIA.

Not sure what’s going on there. Mine adjusts fairly easy but could use a throw lever. That would make it easier to get at with gloves

Kirsch, have you tried the Apex? It looks pretty good. Have the coaster on mine and works but can get loose or bumped forward more easily when carried in the field.

I use the Apex. It works pretty well. It actually has a ring that fits behind the focus ring, it will never slide off the front. The Apex also indexes off of the lugs on the Hogster so it will not slip.

Originally Posted By: case-nhKirsch, have you tried the Apex? It looks pretty good. Have the coaster on mine and works but can get loose or bumped forward more easily when carried in the field. I haven't but may order one to try.

As for the coaster sliding forward, there is actually enough room between the lugs and the cover to squeeze the coaster in there. If you do this, you won't have to worry about it sliding off the lugs. Also, due to the coaster/cattail's thickness, it can catch or rub when rotating when mounted over the lugs. By having it farther forward, you will have more clearance under the scope as it is farther forward and this issue goes away.

Got it. I hadn't noticed this. I had to sand down some of the ridges so the coaster would rotate in the area needed. Thanks. Might order the Apex as inexpensive as it is and made specifically for this it looks like it should be good.

Just read on there website under where it says it's made for the R35 "scope not included" Dang, for 20 bucks you think they could include the scope. Couldn't help it. Still chuckling at that.

Just read on there website under where it says it's made for the R35 "scope not included" Dang, for 20 bucks you think they could include the scope. Couldn't help it. Still chuckling at that.

I currently have all 3 of the ones I listed earlier. They all have their pros and cons.

Amazon Nylon Coasters
The key to using this is not to place it around the lugs. Place it right in front of the lugs. You may have to wiggle the cover just a bit forward.

Pros:
* Cheapest
* Can Position The Knob Anywhere
* Do not Have To Take Off The End Cap
* Shouldn't scratch the scope

Cons:
* It isn't metal but I don't know if it is a con. If you try to mount it over the lugs, it can slip and come loose. Do as I said at the beginning and it should work fine.
* It is the least visually appealing

ZR Tactical

Pros:
* Not Plastic
* Nicest Looking

Cons:
* You have to remove the Butler Creek Cap To Get it off
* It can scratch the lugs
* It can only be mounted in 3 possible positions

Apex 3D
I was ready to say this doesn't work until I finally figured out you have to get it positioned all the way back behind the focus ring. To me it went on the opposite of what I would typically expect. It is also very hard to get it back there with the Tactical mount which Night Goggles includes on the 35 and Super, but it is doable but very, very tight.

Pros:
* Will Not Slip
* A little nicer looking than the Amazon product
* Shouldn't scratch the scope

Cons:
* Hard To Mount
* It can only be mounted in 3 possible positions
* Most Expensive Option

For me, the fact that one is metal doesn't matter as I don't believe it will take a lot of abuse. The ZRtactical looks the nicest but I personally prefer the other two options. The Amazon option is the cheapest and if mounted in front of the lugs allows the most flexibility. The Apex 3D option works well once it is in place, if you are OK with the 3 possible handle positions. They all work and are improvements over trying to focus by using the ring.

Back