Vocal No Show

64Dodge

I need advice for a coyote I have called in 3 times over the past 6 months. Its the most vocal one I have came across.

Each time it would start barking/howling 100-200 yards in the
woods within a few minutes after I turn caller on. Using 3 different sounds rabbit/bird/fox. Setups 150-200 yards between.
Even at different time of day.

Yesterday around lunch when it started in I left caller running with fox howls to keep it going so I could circle around behind it down wind on an old land line road/four wheeler trail. I knew I wouldnt be able to see it in the super over grown woods that go down to the creek even [beeep] I was no more than 50 yards from it. But was hoping it would step into the trail but it didnt. After nearly a half hour of barking/howling it stopped. about 10 minutes later it started in again about 200 yards away across the creek.
I went back around turned caller off and sat another hour + waiting to see if it got curious. Never showed.

It never got in position to wind or see me or caller.

I think its a young one all alone and spooked of everything.

Been there, done that ! Sounds to me like you were back in school, lol ! Wiley continues to teach me too ! If it were easy everyone would do it.

It’s breeding season. Try a couple howls , then go silent. After 15 minutes do some pup distress for a couple minutes. Wait for an hour. If you haven’t killed it by then, Wiley wins again !!!

Silence can be deadly !!!

Everything Mick told you is good advice. I would add this. You have overcalled this coyote, and you are busted. You're probably limited in the number of places you have available to call, but if you don't get this one the next time you call following Mick's advice then you need to leave it alone for at least 6 months. Do not play any sound that you played already on this stand because the coyote recognizes it immediately.

Thanks Pa Mick, DoubleUp, Fur Taker
Yep this one has me pegged.

Yes I have used distinctly different sounds each time there.
On this place there is 3 decent setups according to the wind.
I have gotten more coyotes here than any where else I hunt since its right behind my house.
I try not to over hunt there but probable do.

There is one more good setup to the west on an adjoining place that I have permission that is good. Its about 500 plus yards from mondays fiasco.

I think I may be able to get permission to come in from the southern side of hollow/woods. If I do son in law said that he would help me try to ambush this one. May try cat/kitten sounds, its something I havent played for this coyote.

Thanks again guys

You ever think about crawling up his [beeep] with a shotgun in the woods? If he is that vocal, you are clearly agitating him enough for him to respond. You might have some decent luck pushing his buttons from inside his own bedroom. In my experience a coyote won’t tolerate that without a confrontation.

Thanks Reaper, thats kindof my thoughts if I can come in from the southern side of hollow. I will be closer to his bedding spot. Theres an old 4 wheeler trail/ land line road that comes straight down from the north, across the creek then turns east and comes out on the dirt road I live on about a half mile away. That could be the best shotgunning travel lane I could try.

Thanks again all for the great ideas.

I had a similar situation...Any howl or distress I tried provoked an immediate charge with screech/bark...She would stay 100yds out into the thick woods and run in an arc barking screeching never being visible because she couldn't get downwind of the caller without exposing herself. Night or day...This went on every week or so for a month or two. One day I tripped across an article by Greg Lewand titled "Bark them in". It made sense...So the very next time the wind was right I went in and set my caller upwind of me as far as I could on a tree branch and still get a signal to it(checked by activating decoy).. I sat against a tree right inside the woods(where I've killed several others traveling to the call). I sat for 1/2 hour after hanging call right at last light and let out one bark at about 30 volume. 5 mins later shot her as she ran right in front of me at 10 yds while she was looking in the direction of the caller, and where she normally had been running back and forth from. Sometimes you just have to give up on that one for awhile and revisit it with a new plan. The absolute worst thing you can do is what I did...Obsessing over killing that dog educating it each sit with a whole bunch of new sounds...lol

Sometimes the new sound you need is totally out of the box. I actually thought it would immediately provoke the same response but had nothing to lose. I'm certain on that specific "problem child" dog that any other call(vocal or a distress) would've gotten my previous results.

Calling here in high pressured NE Ohio is tough. These dogs are being bombarded by others nonstop with cheap red led flashlights and entry level e-callers with the same exact 5-10 pre-loaded sounds. A few nights ago while at this same property I distinctly heard 3 howls followed by Eastern Cottontail 1/2 mile away. It motivated me to dig out my "Alpha Dogg" (instead of my Fusion)suspecting most of these newb ("covid- I'm bored...) hunters are most likely running around with Patriots or Infernos. I shot one last night using a single Female howl and and a Randy Anderson Baby cotton tail distress 5 mins later.

Thanks for the thoughts Driven.

I may be able to get it at night but night hunting in Alabama is illegal.

I dont know of any body in this part of the county that coyote hunts to be educating them besides me. Yes I did some what educate it. The first time it came into the call it ran into the open and stopped about 60 yards out then started barking. It didnt get down wind of caller or me. I had a good clear shot but missed. So I didnt help myself.

The area where this one hangs out was logged about 10-12 years ago. Some trees were left but its covered in privet, briars and honey suckle so thick.
The south side of the creek wasnt logged.

I went by the 4 wheeler trail on the southeast end after work today. Didnt get to far in, but it looks alot better than the north end.

I'm going to give it a month or so before trying.

Thanks again

Back