Beginner Coyote Hunter

Firefox

After many years of deer hunting in Texas I now want to get into predator hunting, primarily Coyotes. Question on Coyote hunting:
What do most hunters do with the carcass? Is there a certain requirement to dispose of the animal?

In the northern states and southern Canada many keep the prime hides since they might go for $50-$100. Others usually find a discreet place to leave the carcass in order to return it to the ecosystem for recycling by nature.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotprocess and eat.

You first though guy.
sick.gif

Even southern coyotes can have nice looking pelt, while not desirable for the fur trade they make nice wall hangings and can be processed into items for yourself. I'm in southern NM and pelt out all my decent coyotes and send them off for garment tanning about $25./each, my wife wants a bed spread(king size) after this batch returns from the tannery I will have enough to start and I have the rest of the "Honey Do's" caught up enough to spend in the sewing room.

Pretty southern NM border coyote.
IreIAf.jpg

Southern AZ coyote 12 miles north of the Mex border
mF8Jow.jpg

I've eaten dog in China and coyote in Canada and the coyote left much to be desired, I wonder if the cook in China would have processed and cooked the coyote if it would have been a lot better. The dog was great served with garlic greens and plum sauce.

Last edited:
I sell them because there's a market for the fur. Depending on where you're at there may not be. Everywhere is different as far as the disposal of dead animals. If they have mange or something they stay right where they got killed. Not sure if that's the proper way necessarily but I ain't touching a mangy coyote just for the fun of it. Nothing goes to waste in nature.

If you skin them just throw the carcass in a gully away from some bleeding heart trail and let nature feed on them.

Some federal lands here require you to remove them, but typically in cold weather the birds will wipe out the carcass within hours.
It is entertaining seeing one dropped in a conspicuous place, listening to all the "oh my god" or "wonder what happened" or "should we call 911".

Fur gets sold, market is not the greatest anymore. If pop. is good in your area and you don't mind a little $$investment. In NY we don't get a lot of pale color more dark/brownish if they are fully prime on top end $75.00 if your lucky. Blowing holes and sewing ----$$$. Night vision, Thermo, ammo, fuel, travel time, put up time, a 100 skins if you get even get that many wouldn't pay enough unless I'm trying to sell you a book or call.

I leave the coyotes behind a local Chinese restaurant, he pays me $25 each and it doesn't matter how badly damaged the fur is.

I am a little surprised that he would pay so much for ruined fur!

Years ago I lived on the front range and someone had skinned a coyote and dumped the carcass in a ditch in the country. Some bunny hugger saw it and called the press and they did a story about "someone killing dogs and skinning them " Finally the game and fish tested the carcass and said coyote but people still whined about it.

Last edited:
I skin most of mine out in the field and drag the carcasses off a ways behind a bush so they can't be seen from the road, buzzards and small birds make fast work of them.

Back