1911s

Clayton86

I picked up my first 1911 last Tuesday and been to the range twice with it and fell in love with it even though it’s just the cheap rock island. Already have the itch for another 1911 or two. Want a compact next I think was looking at the kimber ultra carry 2 today at a shop. Only compact 1911 I’ve seen locally.

Any 1911 fans/gurus out there?

Had a kimber pro carry II. Sold it and picked up a Smith & Wesson. The only benefit the kimber offered was lighter weight. I'd take the external extractor of the Smith over the weight savings of the kimber.

I know how you feel. When I was shopping for a carry gun I expected to buy a 400 dollar plastic gun. I made the mistake of picking up my crimson carry ultra, and had to have it. Very accurate little pistol. I will caution you that the 3" guns are more fickle with ammo types. I feed it 230 rn or hp and it's happy. Tried 185 swc and even 200 rn and it won't do it.

They're great guns imo, but they need care and the right ammo. Change the recoil spring on schedule and clean and lube.

I have a Series 70 Colt that I had modified a bit. Match trigger and sights was about it. Seems to be all it needed. I used to enjoy swingin my 18" gong with it at 100 yards. Still has the factory barrel and spring in it. Alas, my eyes are not what they used to be to be able to have it do what I want it to now. Still, pretty sure that will stay in my possession for a while.

Right now my EDC is a Sig p365 but seriously considering a compact 1911 like stated. Just gotta keep my eyes open at the shops for one to come in or hope for one on gunbroker that’s not triple the price

Originally Posted By: AWSI packed a Star PD for years it would eat everything I fed it including some 250gr bullets for my 45 Colt that I loaded in the ACP. With 170gr Win Match it thought it was a Gold cup. I shot it in a bowling pin match and someone offered me way more than I could refuse, I regret letting that one go. 25oz with a 3.9"barrel

Just an image not mine
https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/170256/976233641/wm_7768094.jpg

Another vote for the PD. They were inexpensive but 100% no matter what we feed them. I have one for EDC and I have one for the bedside. I have a story about getting one back from being stolen with a Corvette I owned.

My daily:

4yQhXCr.jpg

My true 19111 carry gun is a gussied up version that started life as a 38 Super and i now a 45.

RucNNwV.jpg

Greg

Nothing less than a 4.25" Commander length is considered dependable enough for a fighting gun in the 1911 design.

What is considerred dependable, my PD would feed anything and clean a bowling pin table with just a single mag full. I'd bet my life on it..

Last edited:
Right now there is a Remington hanging just inside the cellar door ready for anything. I like to take my grandfathers old colt to the range, mfg 1915, inspected at Springfield Armory 1917, came home, from France 1919, been in the family ever since. I wish it could talk.

I prefer 5” guns but if I was looking for something shorter I would look at Ruger Commander. I would not bring home a Kimber Series II unless it was half price.

big 1911 fan too, and have a Kimber stainless pro carry, a Norinco, a Springfield ultra-compact, and two star PD's and as stated the stars are very accurate and will eat anything. my Kimber and Norinco have had the triggers worked on and I did a beavertail grip safety and front strap checkering on the Springfield along with a flared mag-well opening. the only regret I have is I let a Kimber custom classic I bought new when they first started production in Oregon go before I figured out I really like them. That's the worst thing I ever did gun sale-wise, I miss that 1911.

My daily carry is the S&W pro series 3" 9mm 1911.
I've shot from 90gr to 147gr hardcasts without issue.

I use Wilson Combat elite mags for when it is loaded and ready for defense, as it sits next to me right now at home, it has a 10 round mag with 147gr flat nose fmj rounds. I have 115gr FMJ practice rounds and several varietals and weights of hollow points as well.

I have a shooting range out my back door, I'm building the shooting house right now.

The gun doesn't have any function issues.

One thing to note regarding carrying a 1911. Don't shoot non-external safety guns.

When your brain is under extreme stress, like you'd find if you are forced to defend yourself or others with your 1911, it will take the path of least resistance.

So if your brain has been taught, draw, point, fire, it will go there over draw, safety off as I point, fire.

It's a natural thing.

So if you shoot non-external safety style guns, your brain will use that draw to fire stroke as it is simpler and more direct than that of the 1911.

Under stress you'll see this, it's something trainers will point out when they do stress inducing real world scenario style drills. It's also something shooters will see.
It's a not so small reason you'll see videos on youtube of people noting they don't use 1911s because having to take the safety off is another step for you to forget.

They likely did forget and attribute it to being a flaw in the 1911, it's easier then admitting it's' a flaw in ones training.

If you only shoot 1911s, it should not be an issue, your brain is trained with and only knows draw, safety off as sights on target, fire, safety on as I re-holster.

The moment you introduce the simpler draw to fire stroke of that Glock is the moment your brain realizes there's a simpler way and it'll look to deploy that under stress.

So, pay attention to that, or don't, but do.

I have two Sig 1911's both TACOPS models one is a 45ACP the other 10mm. I wouldn't mind have a 460 Rowland conversion kit for my 45 one though. 44mag power in a 1911 would be pretty cool and I hear the 460 Rowland hits like a pizzed off Rhino.

Originally Posted By: Clayton86My EDC is a P365 no safety so that’s a good point about adding that extra step to carry the 1911 over the 365 at times.

Interesting, the P365 is striker fired double action only. A complete change from a single action trigger of a 1911.
You have a RIA. In 45 ACP Their 10mm is just as accurate and well made. Myself and the owner of a Dan Wesson 10mm both proved the RIA to be more accurate,,, at 50 and 100yds.
I prefer the 5” in 1911s Each pistol no matter what barrel length usually the gun, will tell you what ammo it likes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerOriginally Posted By: Clayton86My EDC is a P365 no safety so that’s a good point about adding that extra step to carry the 1911 over the 365 at times.

Interesting, the P365 is striker fired double action only. A complete change from a single action trigger of a 1911.
You have a RIA. In 45 ACP Their 10mm is just as accurate and well made. Myself and the owner of a Dan Wesson 10mm both proved the RIA to be more accurate,,, at 50 and 100yds.
I prefer the 5” in 1911s Each pistol no matter what barrel length usually the gun, will tell you what ammo it likes.

Yeah completely different triggers I’ve only had the this RIA for little over a week it shoots better than the sig I’ve only got 25yard indoor range at my disposal at this time though. I go every week put a box every week down range except the .22 I take a brick and just shoot till I’m sick of loading the thing haha.

I’ve been looking all over for I think it’s the commander 1911s being a 4.25” barrel or smaller possibly it’s just tough right now finding much of anything.

Back