February

RandyDB

I haven’t been calling much since my brother passed from a heart attack and I had an EKG that was abnormal and the Doctor said that I may of had a small heart attack already and am scheduled for more tests next week.
Wife was a little worried since I mostly hunt alone but we discussed it and decided we needed to live life to the fullest.

The first set is and 80 acre pasture with creek and trees, 15mph wind out of the south. Set up on east fence line so I could see down wind. Call set 75 yds up wind. Called using male howls for 20 seconds, hit the mute button looked up and there straight west of me stood a coyote looking right at me. Rifle pointing north there was nothing I could do. Stare at each other for a few seconds then coyote turned and walk away. No opportunity for a shot.
Switching the call to canine puppy distress saw movement in the tall grass and got ready. Didn’t realize I had the tactacam on high magnification. Coyote came to within 45yds, I stopped him and took the shot. Look across the creek and there stood another at about 100yds shot and thought I heard the bullet hit but never found any sign or the coyote.
[video:youtube][/video]

Next time out I decide to call an area that I have called many times and have never even seen a coyote but know that they are in there from the sign. Quarter of wheat on the north, quarter of cotton stalks on the south. A lone tree on the half mile line 200 yds from a wood creek running north and south.

Road the E-bike to the tree and set up. Wind out of the north 10 mph call set north of me at 75yds. Started off with howls, 20 seconds then 3 minutes of silence then repeat. Was in the second sequence when I spotted a coyote coming from the north along the fence line.
Looked like it was going to go south and then come in from the down wind side. That’s how I was set up. The video tells the rest.

Few days later went out to my honey hole. Been hunting this half section for over 45 years and have taken hundreds of coyotes off of it. Shot my first triple here. The east end has a 30 acre that is over grown with trees with a drainage creek. Set up down wind of the call about 200 yds west of the creek. Howl sequence again. Called for 15 minutes off and on then switched to canine puppy distress. About a minute in to that a coyote showed at just under 200 yds. Didn’t act like wanted to come any closed so I took the shot. Followed by a second shot to make sure.

This next place is leased by an outfitter to deer hunting but had coyotes running deer off his corn piles. An 80 acre patch with 40 acres cotton the rest creek and trees. Wind out of the north set up in a finger of trees growing in a wash about 50 yds from the railroad tracks that border the south side of the property. 200 yds to the west is the wooded creek. Figure the coyote would come along the fence line to try to down wind me. Same set of calls
Sorry for the bad video. Had the magnification on high and everything happen too fast. Not sure how many coyotes showed at least 4 maybe 5. I was too busy shooting to count.

Cool vid clips with some classic hit reactions.
Have to admit I got distracted by another one about girl biker. )))

Prayers for a good report on your tests, Randy.

Enjoyed the videos. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Regards,
Clarence

Tripod I could see how that could distract you.

Thanks Clarence I’m sure I’m just fine. Probably something I’ve had all my life.
I ride that bike for miles and pedal all the while for the cardio. Guess I’ll know for sure after the stress test.

Congrats, nice video. Sorry to hear about your brother. I lost my brother 1 1/2 years ago to cancer at the age of 56. I miss him dearly and nothing is the same. Hunting, trapping, fishing was our passion. Now I just take one day at a time.

Thanks Weekender, maybe I’ll get better with the videos. It’s hard trying to do it by yourself, I always seem to make some mistake.

Back