Ah yes, the feel of frostbite.

Originally Posted By: skinneyNothing really particular right now on the layering. Base layer, then fleece, then either the overwhites or regular layer. Works great for us but usually we aren't out in anything more than 15 mph winds due to the video aspect and it's not nearly as fun.

I go fingerless man, all the time, I've had frostebite a few times, not the kind that turns your skin black, but it did peel a layer or two. I usually tuck them under my coat so it makes direct contact with my stomach, warms them up fast and keep them limber to the trigger, or my camera controls.

The frost bite I got wasn't severe to the point that I got necrosis but it was plenty bad enough. I don't really remember it all that well but it was definitely bad enough it did some damage. I don't know how you do it dude. That's so dang painful. Especially in that kind of weather y'all hunt in. You're tougher than a boot to be able to do that without anything on your fingers.

I don't know if "tough" is the word, maybe stupid LOL. We definitely get used to it. -30 here this a.m. and wore my ol fingerless gloves to break tanks, makes you get used to it real quick, but you still have to stuff them away to keep em functional that's for dang sure.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerLooks cold as all get out. What kind of clothes are y'all wearing to keep some of that wind out? The wind is what gets me. For the most part my coat and coveralls and the layers underneath keep me pretty warm but if I can improve in any aspect I'm interested.

My hands get cold fast because I got frostbite when I was a kid. In temperatures below 0 or anything close to it my fingers feel like they've been hit with a hammer. Plus after a few snake bites I have nerve damage from that so the cold can be really painful.

I just noticed the only gloves I see don't have fingers on them. I can't do that or they'll fit perfectly. Cause my fingers would fall off. Flip up mittens with light gloves under with hand warmers in the flip up mitten works great!

skinney-Tough and stupid go hand in hand. I could be accused of it just as easily probably. Most people go to the hospital after a rattlesnake bites them and most people don't have it happen more than once. So I ain't accusing nobody of doing somethin stupid I can assure you.LOL It was -20 here this mornin and I was staying warm. Like you said you're definitely acclimated to that weather.

Now that I think about it I used to have a pair of flip up mittens. I still do somewhere. I need to find those. Kinda forgot all about those and they are good gloves.

Last edited:
Back