Wind and cold questions

Shooter222

Custom Call Maker
I’m had plans to hunt both nights this weekend. Then snow and cold and wind hit here. I’m debating on to hunt or stay home. The wind direction won’t kill my planned sets. Fresh snow on ground Along with very little moon. Which brings up my questions:

How much wind is too much?
At what point do you just stay home?

Tonight supposed to be 17 Degrees with average of 13 mph winds and gusts up to 18mph.

Tomorrow night supposed to be 14 Degrees with average of 8 mph winds and gusts up to 14mph.

What is your guys’ take on hunting in high winds? Will they move?

I don’t typically like that much wind. But the amount of snow you and I just got plus the colder temperatures. I’ll be out there this weekend. Breeding season is here, cold temps their gonna be on the move. We’re supposed to have the cold temps for awhile. Grab that Shiver gear and kill some coyotes. LOL

I've called coyotes in 35mph winds. They bed down when it's windy so the closer you get to where they're sleeping the better. I prefer less than 15 mile per hour wind. But having said that coyotes will be moving.

Last edited:
I generally plan on staying in with 20 mph wind.
Not because the coyotes won't be out, more because tougher shooting or I'm a wimp.
I did go out awhile back and whacked coyotes with the wind winding down from 70 mph, so never say never.

I gotta start work Monday. Was laid off due to seasonal job.
Might be the last weekend I get . I’m gonna try for it.

Will report back Sunday sometime.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
The idea of colder is better does not apply when it get's too cold. Ask old timers who ran trap and snare lines. In ND where I hunt, it seems to occur when temp hits around -20, they stop moving. Energy is life to a coyote and in those kinds of temps, heavy exertion means death. They hunker down unless the cold snap lasts too long. There are always exceptions. I have killed coyotes down to -35 but in my experience, I don't believe a hunter is going to kill numbers at these kind of temps.

As already stated, if the wind is high, 20+ mph, coyotes will be in cover. They can be called but you have to get close to them and don't expect them to run up and pose for long periods of time. Again, if you have no choice, go ahead and hunt, but your odds are not as good. I actually prefer a 5-9 mph steady wind. When you have a steady wind, a coyote is much more predictable. When winds are light and variable, the wind does odd things and coyotes act more unpredictable.

Ran three sets before partner couldn’t see due to blowing snow and night vision.

On second set had one come in to 280 but he wouldn’t step into field, stayed in edge of woods. He lives to see another day.

Gun smoke reruns sounds like a good idea...

Originally Posted By: Shooter222

How much wind is too much?
At what point do you just stay home?

We've had amazing success in -30 at night, smokes the thermal batteries, fingers freeze to your housing, trigger guard, mag, and barrel if it's not CF. Daytime's been good in -15 but still smokes the camera battery pretty quick.

Some of the best you can have is in the cold, we usually stay at home if the wind is blowing 10+, which drops the windchill exponentially. Not only Dangerous, but sometimes stupid.

Last time I've had frostbite was last year. Probably acquire a mild case this week if we aren't careful.

The colder the better.Last 2 days have been at least minus 20 at dawn and the best hunting of the year.Coyotes running in like the old days.Winds light and variable as well.Perfect except 'noise' in getting in is an issue.When below minus 15 I rarely hunt in winds over 15.I learned the hard way decades ago to wear a patch of moleskin on my nose whenever it's below minus 10.

wind over 20 mph is a no go for me if I have a choice. Have never had good success, although I have called a few in with high wind, it just isn't enough to make me want to go when there is wind.

I don't worry so much about the temp. I'd rather have it a bit too cold then have it a bit too warm, for the time of year that I am hunting.

Stormy weather consisting of high winds and white out snow condition has been a waste of time trying to call coyotes for myself.
If its just windy, I head for sheltered areas like large blocks of bush or valleys/ravines.

Cold weather can slow down coyote movement but nothing like ringing the dinner bell to get them on the move. I'll get as close to their bedding grounds as I dare before setting up and calling. If they don't have to travel too far, they will often show themselves even in -30*F & colder temps. The more days its been cold, the better they respond. Day one of a cold snap has typically been slow for calling but 3 or 4 days in, it can be magic.

In my advanced age, I have started to use ground blinds more an more. Setting up where its not too far of a walk from the truck. There are many good opportunities by the farmyards where trucks and noises are present. Setting up a blind in the predawn doesn't seem to spoke them so far. I usually don't call too much. I just find their trails and wait for them like deer hunting. Out of the wind and more comfortable. No squirrels or blue jays busting you. Even with all of that, I find 15 mph to be the max.

Back