What Suppressor for .204 AR?

Mission5

Looking to suppress my .204. I already have a Resonator K for my .30 cal units. However, should I invest in another 30 cal in a longer configuration to gain hearing safe decibel reduction for my bigger calibers or go with a .223 can to optimize my .204? My .204 is an AR.

Thanks!

Most say the difference is negligible if you use a 30 caliber suppressor on a smaller caliber. I use a Yankee Hill titanium Phantom and like it a lot. Adjustable gas block is a big help too. Good luck.

I'd go with the TBAC 6.5 version Ultra 7 Gen2

TBAC actually dropped their .223 version Ultra 7 becasue the new updated Gen2 Ultra 7 in 6.5 metered just as quiet as the .223 version but is obviously more versatile because it'll work on everything 6.5 and smaller.

If you've used enough different suppressors, you will find a good dedicated caliber specific is much more efficient at sound suppression than an overbore can.

"If you've used enough different suppressors, you will find a good dedicated caliber specific is much more efficient at sound suppression than an overbore can."

True for bolt guns but with an DI host how you control the gas is very important. Best to have a smaller than normal gas port for best suppression at muzzle as well as shooters ear. With a normal size gas port the better you suppress at the muzzle the more you will see shooters ear numbers go up, as well as increased bolt speed, blowback ect. A 30 cal can on a 204 AR10 with normal sized port will sound better than a dedicated 22 can to the shooter.

Originally Posted By: RayDog

True for bolt guns but with an DI host how you control the gas is very important. Best to have a smaller than normal gas port for best suppression at muzzle as well as shooters ear. With a normal size gas port the better you suppress at the muzzle the more you will see shooters ear numbers go up, as well as increased bolt speed, blowback ect. A 30 cal can on a 204 AR10 with normal sized port will sound better than a dedicated 22 can to the shooter.

I can see the increased bolt speed with an increased amount of back pressure due to a more effective suppressor.

Which is what I would highly suggest to the OP. For a hunting application, you want optimal sound suppression at the point towards target. The amount of db's changed if any at your ear are not going to be enough to be drastically different between a 30 and cal specific. Say you are increasing a db or 2 at the action, and gaining 3-5 at the muzzle, IMHO the Pro outweighs the Con.

Go caliber specific if you want the absolute best performance, Sometimes running a can with the aid of more back pressure increases the performance of an AR. It has on a couple of my AR10's.

When you have a properly tuned gas system you are looking at more like 10-15 dB at the ear while still having the best possible reduction
at the muzzle. Here is some testing we did on a 10.5" AR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l870SkASH5Y&t=148s

Everyone from newbies to Delta operators all say the same thing after shooting our gas guns with smaller ports "by far the best suppressed AR I ever shot"

When you allow the bolt speed to be more than it was designed for things start to brake. Even things you wouldn't expect like trigger pins. I just had to send my 12.7" LWRC REPR back for a whole list of new parts. Trigger pins, bolt, piston and other crap all because the gas port was bigger than it needs to be to run well suppressed. The head engineer over there listens a lot better to us now and sent back my rifle with a much smaller gas port. Testing on it starts this week
The industry will catch up and you will start seeing more systems designed to run properly suppressed. We are use to being in front of the curve and doing things they way they should be not the way they are.

Gas guns without properly tuned gas ports will be quieter for the shooter and shoot smoother with a 30 cal. We now have the accelerometer working very well for the PULSE. After some huge brakes tests with Frank from SH I will do some AR recoil testing also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RayDogWhen you have a properly tuned gas system you are looking at more like 10-15 dB at the ear while still having the best possible reduction
at the muzzle. Here is some testing we did on a 10.5" AR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l870SkASH5Y&t=148s

I haven't watched it but I'm sure it's a very credible bit of info.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, the OP isn't going to be double stampin a can with an SBR. Probably more like, carbine length? 16, 18... Maybe Rifle length 20, 22, 24" barrel?

I again could see the uncomfortable increase in DB's at shooters ear with a 10.5" SBR, I've got one, with a Mini 4, it'll make you're ears not bleed... almost. Even if you run a larger can, your ears ring... bad.

Once again I'm "assuming" this isn't an 10.5" SBR, which makes a very very noticeable difference. Especially at the shooters ear.

Originally Posted By: RayDogI will be doing the same test with longer barrel ARs. Only so much time

Isn't that the truth buddy! I wish I had more of it!

Back