When wrong is right.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Calling has been tough, if I can see over 50 yards I haven't called a coyote in a couple weeks. Get in the thick stuff and it is easier, one day 4 for 6 stands but getting a shot is a lot tougher.

Today I headed out late, coffee with my wife in the morning is nice.. I hit an area I called eight years ago. The first stand was was a long hike for naught.

I headed further back in for the second stand that I killed a coyote on eight years ago. We had a nice west to east wind and I walked about a hundred yards north of the road and set up, sun at my back, sitting in the shade of the of a mesquite bush and a cross wind. I ran my favorite bird sound and nothing.

Stand was about 100 yards on the other side of the bike.
EpYLA9.jpg

On the way back to the bike I kept looking at the south side of the road and knowing I would be only a couple hundred yards from the last stand, sitting out in the open facing the sun. It just called to me "Go over there and call". Late in the season, a lot of callers out, and a contest just a couple weeks ago. I threw caution to the wind and ran a jackrabbit sound hard.

The area south of the bike I walked out into, ust beyond the first row of brush.
6VaVrU.jpg

Six minutes into the stand in he comes like an October coyote never even checking up but straight to the caller. The old 22-204 strikes again, built this in 2005 and mounted the Sightron II 1.5-6x40mm on it and haven't changed a thing in 16 years, it is a great calling rig.

Success
DIlf7o.jpg

Fun day on the desert.

I've found it has been tougher than average lately as well. Having one come in fast like that is what makes calling coyotes so exciting.

It looks like you were very well rigged out here is that an espresso machine just behind the seat on the right side there and I said I would be surprised if there was an espresso machine on your bike it looks like you have just about everything else and there’s nothing like a nice espresso after a headshot of a wild crazy inbound Coyote....

Not expresso but pour over French Roast.

Yes the bike has everything, the center black box is the kitchen, stove, tea kettle, emergency coffee, a couple of bagged meals(Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo) and my water purifying system etc. The side boxes have tools, spare parts(spare chain links, chain breaker, tire repair kit, jump start battery, skinning gear), everything to get me home or be comfortable if I have to spend the night. All the gear is in four small boxes fastened to the bottom of the panier leaving the top to store light stuff like rain gear and spare sweater and my ghillie suit for when I get out in the field. I added a center stand to it so I can easily repair a flat out in the field. I pulled the rear pegs and added two leather tool bags that have 1 Liter bottles of extra fuel in each.

repair stuff in the paniers
G76XCG.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the draught is over, I've been [beeep] footing around with bird sounds and howling chasing pressured coyotes and the other day I said to [beeep] with it and am running jackrabbit sounds loud and continuous. BOOM 3 killed coyotes on he last six stands over three days. Only 5 days left in my season, told my wife I'd quite on the 28th and start painting the living room, I did sneak in a sxs shotgun shoot on the 28th over in AZ so painting won't start till a few days after that. Fishing should start after the paint. I have a new 3wt and 5wt flyrods to break in.

Back