Swarovski EL Range 10x42

Snowshoes

I purchased a set of Swarovski EL Range 10X42 rangefinder binoculars (new) in the fall of 2018 to replace my 2 year old Bushnell Fusion 1- Mile Laser Rangefinder binoculars.
Previous to the Fusion 1-mile binoculars, I had a Leica LRF 900 Rangefinder which I used for a number of years but the idea of combining two pieces of equipment into one was very appealing. So, I sold the Leica rangefinder and my wife took over the Swarovski Habicht SLC Mark II 8x30WB binoculars that I had been using.
I then purchased the Bushnell Fusion 1 mile RF binoculars and was very happy with the ranging capabilities but the glass was nothing special ( which I expected)
It didn’t seem to matter if it was 60*F or -40*F , I could usually range my target with ease. Even ranging a coyote on a snow covered field wasn’t an issue unless the yardages were stretched way out. For my purposes, the Bushnell’s out preformed the ranging capabilities of my Leica rangefinder, especially when a white background of snow was present.

Not happy with the glass of the Bushnell’s, I sold them after coming across a good sale on the Swarovski EL Range binoculars.
The glass was excellent and ranging capabilities was great during my early and mid fall hunting adventures but then came the cold weather and snows.
Going into winter, the colder temperatures ( 0*F and into the negatives) really affected the responsiveness of the ranging as it could take multiple tries to get a reading.
Then to top it off, trying to range coyote and deer sized targets on a snowy landscape proved to be challenging. Changed out the Duracell battery for an Energizer Lithium but nothing changed.
In the spring of 2019, I sent them to the Swarovski repair center and they replaced some parts, gave them a cleaning and said they should be good to go.
The EL rangefinder binoculars are now going into their second winter of use and yes, they are better but still hit and miss in the colder temperatures.
Has anyone else had similar issues?
I just need to marry the Bushnell rangefinder with the Swarovski glass and all would be good
smile.gif

I was going to buy a set of Ziess Victory RF 10x42 but when I seen the Swarovski’s were $350 dollars off, I switched plans.
Any feedback on the Ziess RF’s would be greatly appreciated as I may still go that route.

Back