A Pulled Shot

DoubleUp

I went by myself tonight since my hunting partner had his young grandson with him. I managed to kill a female but I didn't do a very good job of it. Got in the field about 7 and they were already there. So, I didn't put the call out but just sat it beside me, and I decided to shoot standing which was a bad idea because I was rushed and didn't really get the tripod set solid and then there was the adrenaline rush.

Anyway, gave them some prey distress and here they came. I pulled the shot slightly and hit the female just inside the shoulder joint and it blew a chunk out the backside of her shoulder as big as my fist, but she managed to run.

If I killed her outright, I think the male would have stopped, and he did stop when she stopped but they were about 300 at that time. I missed the male. She ran a ways further and stopped, but was still raising her head occasionally.

She finally managed to stand again but was very unsteady. I didn't want to take a chance on her staying just ahead of me when I started after her so I got as steady as possible and made a of heck of a shot at 375 yds. (Google earth) to put her down. Still if I hadn't pulled the first shot slightly, I could have had a double.

Just a run of the mill- 30 lb. class female

#28 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp I was rushed and didn't really get the tripod set solid and then there was the adrenaline rush.

Sounds like a lot of my stands, nice shooting Owen.

It made for a long funeral procession for the Undertaker. Just a reminder that even with a 243, a bad hit means they run. If I had been near any woods, this one would have been lost and died an unnecessarily slow death.

I am shooting a 58 V-Max over AR-Comp running about 3,750. I shoot the 85 Sierra BTHP in another 243 for deer at just under 3,200 fps over H414.

Are you shooting a AR platform for predator and a sporting firearm for deer? I am shooting a T/C Encore that's my main predator gun I may use it for deer, load wise it's IMR 4064.

Stroble, I'm shooting a Ruger Predator bolt-action with 22" barrel and wearing a Banish 30 suppressor. When hunting with an AR, I shoot either a 6x45 (The Parvo) with a 20" barrel suppressed or a 16" barrel 223 also suppressed. I mostly use them when I think the shots will be closer like during the warmer months.

Thanks DoubleUp I also have a Ruger American 22-250 shoots great but I don't like the detachable magazine I had 2 go bad on me and sometime they don't feed the shell up, does the predator model have the rotary feed clip.

Thanks DoubleUp I also have a Ruger American 22-250 shoots great but I don't like the detachable magazine I had 2 go bad on me and sometime they don't feed the shell up, does the predator model have the rotary feed clip.

Yes it has the rotary mag. I learned early on that you can't ease the shell into the chamber especially once you get to the 3rd or 4th bullet. You need to eject fast and push the bolt back forward fast.

Thanks sir, I'll have to try that work the bolt as if you going to rip it off the gun, it seems to me that the spring in the clip needs to be stronger.

There is a way on some of the rotaries to tighten that spring. You can look it up on YouTube. Also it helps to blow the magazine out with an air hose occasionally.

I also shoot 85gr.Sierra BTHP out of my 243. I wish Federal continued making the premiums. Every coyote hit went to the sewing room. But its all I use and will ever use for deer. Now reloading with IMR 4350

Back