Best scope <$1000??

6GUNSONLY

I have a new Savage Ridge Warrior in 6.5 Creed I need a scope for. What do you think is the best scope under a grand in the 3-15x/4-16x range? I'd like a 50mm objective and an illuminated reticle. The Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 is close to what I want, probably right at or just over the $1000 line. Any comparable alternatives for same or less money? Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the offerings from Sig? Thanks for your input.
Ken

Last edited:
I own or have owned about all of them. I ran Weaver in the early 70's when I got a good job I went to Leupold. I was a Leupold snoob for a long time. Started buying Sightron in 2008 that's what is on most of my longrange guns. I've had good luck with Vortex. Bought a couple Athlon, Argos FFP 6X24X50 and 8X34X56. I will say they track as good and just as clear as the Sightrons. As many Leupold scope and binos as I have and have had I believe they are not what they were. If Athlon makes the size you want and you get the mid priced one I think you will be happy. IMO

I have bought a lot of scopes during the last almost half century. A lot of them. And for many years now I have had no guns with inferior glass sitting on them. If it's a good rifle then it will have more than good glass on it. Many of my guns the optics on it cost more than the actual firearm did. My guns are worth good glass and my eyes are too.

If I was starting over today, I would be happy to have Sightron SIII scopes on all of my rifles. Great glass. Especially for the money.

I just put a new Burris Signature HD on my 223AI. It has the 50mm bell and a lighted ret. So far I'm very happy with it. It was $700ish.

What are your plans for it, I've run 1-4's on a 7mm Rem Mag for whitetails in the brush with 175gr RN's. And on upward to 8-32's for small stuff.

This is a predator hunting sight so assuming you are calling coyotes. Most of my shots calling are a under a hundred yards so I find FOV ranks X's most of the time. I like to see at least a 40"s FOV on the bottom end and a reticle that is easy to put on a coyote. The rest is fluff

On of my bigger open country calling scopes is a 2-12 nice power range most of my BA wear 1.5-6's

I have a leupold vx5 3-15x44 and am very happy with it. Very clear, tracks good if your into dialing and light weight.
Only gripes are the side focus needs to lock, it tends to rub on my backpack when I'm hiking and turns it and the elevation clicks are a little mushy.
Lots of people bashing leupolds on the internet these days not sure why. Usually somebody heard somebody that knew somebody that saw somebody that had problems at the range now they're all bad.
Every brand will have a bad one once in awhile.

AWS asks a good question. I have a lot of rifles already for general and special purposes. For this one, I had in mind it being used for both coyote calling and larger game, on the longer range side, with maybe some casual long range target work. Not a fan of real high magnification scopes, which is why I said 15-16x at the top end. Also a good low-light scope for whitetails on fields at dark.

Last edited:
My 6.5CM has a Bushnell Forge on it. Its 2.5-15x50. No lighted reticle but does have zero stop. Might be one to look at.

You're pretty spot on with you VX5HD choice. If a 50mm obj is a must then look at the Vortex razor LHT. Both are light weight, have locking turrets, and great glass.

Thanks for all the feedback, gents. I wound up ordering the Athlon Midas 2.5-15×50 with the MOA illuminated reticle. For less than $500 shipped and some good reviews, including here, I thought it was worth a shot. I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
I am using Vortex Optics Viper HS- Riflescope and the first Vortex scope comes from the Viper line. It highlights amplification levels somewhere in the range of 6x and 24x, offering amazing flexibility as far as its compelling reaches.

Originally Posted By: 6GUNSONLYThanks for all the feedback, gents. I wound up ordering the Athlon Midas 2.5-15×50 with the MOA illuminated reticle. For less than $500 shipped and some good reviews, including here, I thought it was worth a shot. I'll let you know how it works out.

If it's anything like my Athlon Argos, you should be tickled
pink with it....a little heavy, but that's the only negative.

A little late to the party but I honestly don't know how you can beat the Meopta Optica 6 that falls into that price point. I have a 3x18 and a 5x30, been dialing DOPE shooting LR steel and both have tracked spot on, returned to zero and held zero. Great glass, Illuminated reticle, really firm positive clicks, locking turrets and zero stop.

Good advice from everyone..... but I'd take a zeiss over most recommendations. The last model hd5 will be better glass than most mentioned for a reasonable price. If you want a more rugged throw it in the back seat type scope grab the shv.

Sightron lll all the way. You do not need binoculars hanging around your neck. I have 4 that’s right f4. 10-50x60 scopes. But I am old and shoot coyotes if I can see them. 6-24x50 Is a great sightron scope. MD

Back