6mm ARC Build Up and Running

Bowhntr6pt

Finally got everything put together and stopped by the range. I have to work tonight so time was limited. I'm quite pleased as all rounds functioned 100% with great extraction, ejection, and feeding using the Hornady 108gr ELD Match.

I paid $30 a box and when I went back it's now $50, screw that. I'll wait it out for brass.

The rifle as completed... Anderson upper, Brownell's BCG, Ballistic Advantage barrel, YHM rail, YHM gas block, YHM QD brake, and YHM LT .30 suppressor. I have a Velocity 3-pound trigger and Vortex Viper PST in a Leupold mount.

The rifle...

After getting the scope dialed in with about four rounds, I fired this group UNSUPPRESSED...

Tweaked the scope, added the suppressor, and fired this group...

All in all I'm pleased at the initial outing but of course those are only three round groups. But I'm thankful the rifle functions 100% suppressed and unsuppressed right from the start. With ammo being scarce the last thing I needed was problems. I think the coyotes and hogs are in for a rude awakening...

Last edited:
Looks like it should be a good pig whacker! But many will say it is too slow to actually work for such uses! LOL! Thanx for sharing.

Originally Posted By: Mike BLooks like it should be a good pig whacker! But many will say it is too slow to actually work for such uses! LOL! Thanx for sharing.

Hopefully I'll get the thermal on it and get it sighted in... then we can see what the nay-sayers have to say lol.

Looks good! If you ever get around to trying 55-58-60 grain bullets I'd sure be interested in your results. We don't have hogs here, so strictly coyote rounds up to 70's is what I would be more interested in, and thanks.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARSweet!

^^^ so much this!

I ordered the 20" BA barrel in early december... so seeing this report gives me hope for similar once i can get mine running.

sadly - i waited to long to grab some ammo... so its unobtanium without paying gouging prices... so yea not so much. My upper sits idle, waiting for some brass to become available - no less dies to do anything with. Thankfully i have the other stuff on hand, so... 2 out of 5 aint too bad *sigh*

Glad its working out for you, I'm anxious to hear about real world speeds and accuracy with the 58,65 and 75s for coyotes. Please let us know if you try the lightweight bullets!!

Originally Posted By: Kino MGlad its working out for you, I'm anxious to hear about real world speeds and accuracy with the 58,65 and 75s for coyotes. Please let us know if you try the lightweight bullets!!
This has already been answered, at least once.
6mmARC Varmint Amunition Project Part 1
6mmARC Varmint Amunition Project Part 2

6mmARC 22" 1:10
55gr 3400-3450 fps
65gr 3300 fps
70gr 3100-3200 fps

For reference, my 6DTI 22" 1:10
55gr 3550 fps

Here is Hornady's load data for 6mmARC gas guns from an 18" 1:7.5 barrel.

50913733221_c228fdcd1b_c.jpg

50913739401_769e239a07_c.jpg

50913053188_fe505edddd_c.jpg

Dirty Dog thanks for posting that info and from what i see the ARC is still about 100fps or so slower than a 6x6.8 with comparable bullets. The "sample size" of the ARC is still small and lots of opinions are hypothetical based on Quickload, I want to see actual real world data from lots of end users so for now I'm sticking with the 6x6.8 crowd but if the ARC proves to be a better mousetrap ill own a couple!

Originally Posted By: varminter .22358s might be okay. Ogive is quite a bit forward. Noslers 55 and 70s the ogive is way back. The Nosler 55gr lead free is much longer than the lead version, is supurbly accurate, and is an excellent coyote bullet. I use it exclusively. That article I posted above immediately dismissed it without even trying it.

Lead free vs lead 55gr Nosler BT.
43367243542_94567844cb_c.jpg

A male from the other day, 45 yards quartering towards me @ 3550 fps, no exit, instant death. Insides were liquified. Silently responded to my howls.

50899859452_0bac850dfa_c.jpg

50899860587_82979324b8_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: 204 ARMidsouth has arc ammo up if you're in need

i hope thats not a ghost in the machine.. they just did a big website update and inventory count update over the weekend (there was an email friday about it)

*fingers crossed*

gone now.. i had 3 in the cart and before i could complete my checkout *poof* OOS.

oh well.. snagged a set of lee dies though. so thats a plus... whenever i manage to find brass anyway lol

site is super laggy right now. must still be some server stuff going on

I just got a set of Hornady ARC dies at Sportsman's. I don't own one and probably never will but they can be used for forming up 243 LBC brass from Grendel. That gives me several dies to play with for forming. The price was $53.99 plus tax. I felt that was bit high but other than a set of 204's that was the last set of Hornadys on the shelf. At least I'll gets some "free" bullets..LOL

Greg

Back