January 2021

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on getting a double. To bad you weren't able to get one down for the count on the other groups. We had 14 mph wind around here this morning so no going out for me. Never have good luck when it gets above 10 mph. Storm coming this after noon. Hoping to get out tomorrow morning or evening.
Again congrats on the double, and thanks for spending the time to write and post your stories.
I too have very poor responses when trying to call coyotes on windy days ( foggy days don't seem to work for me either).

Originally Posted By: fratriThanks for the read.... They are tough buggers
That they are!

Originally Posted By: borkonThe first pic looks like a good one. What am I not seeing?
Anyway, nice work!
Its tough to see in the picture but there is a spot of hair missing on its neck. Very wooly on the sides and almost no hair on its belly. What belly hair it did have, was dark pink. Early stage of mange.
A case of the picture does more justice than deserved
smile.gif

Another relatively calm morning but the 2*F air had a bit of bite to it. Went to the spot where I shot the triple a few days back and set up in the same location. As I walked to my destination, I noticed lots of fresh coyote tracks which sure has a way of increasing the enthusiasm level.
Set up and proceeded to sit for over a half hour before seeing a coyote a half mile to the southeast. Although the coyote was working its way towards me, it wasn’t setting any speed records. I kept thinking this coyote needs to swing north or south some as its current location has the sun directly behind it. At times the sunrays hid the coyote totally from my view as it narrowed the distance between us. At roughly 175 yards the coyote swings a bit south which allows me to see both coyote and cross hairs in the scope. When I moved the rifle into position, there had to be a reflection off the scope because the coyote instantly spun around and started trotting away. Of course the sunrays played havoc once again but the coyote trotted far enough north that I was no longer being blinded. A vocal howl stops the coyote and I guesstimate the distance but I shot just over it. Hmmm, it was closer than I thought.
Sat for roughly another 10 minutes before seeing another coyote heading my way. This one was coming from the south so the sun wasn’t an issue. At a 146 yards, I bark the coyote to a stop and send a 64 gr bullet from the 223AI on its way.
One nice coyote on the ground and I hoped to see more but no other coyotes materialized.
The orange arrow indicates where I sat at the edge of the trees.

The red arrow shows where the first coyote swapped ends on me and the blue arrow shows where I dropped the second coyote. Its basically hid by the cattails in the picture.

Ten feet from where I sat was a fresh coyote bed that had a fair bit of fur around it. Before I left I went over to investigate and could see another spot just into the trees where the ole coyote had scratched more fur off its hide. I never seen this mangy coyote but at the rate its getting rid of fur, it wont be long for this world in these temperatures.

Great story and pictures Snowshoes. Too bad the first one caught something it didn't like. Second one caught something that you liked. One in hand is good, and a nice looking one. Sure is alot of fur from the mangle thing. Keep at it.

Cool stories. Thanks for posting, Snowshoes.

I've never seen a coyote bed with fur in it like that. Hopefully you have the pleasure of putting it down in the near future, if it doesn't freeze first.

Originally Posted By: lockrotor Too bad the first one caught something it didn't like. Second one caught something that you liked. lol isn't that right
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GrigsbyCool stories. Thanks for posting, Snowshoes.

I've never seen a coyote bed with fur in it like that. Hopefully you have the pleasure of putting it down in the near future, if it doesn't freeze first.
We are to drop down into the -30*F's for a few days with wind-chills into the -40's which will likely take care of a few of those mange infested coyotes.

Originally Posted By: fratriGreat report... that hair loss I guess from mange? pretty nasty.
Congrats
I've watched a few coyotes with bad cases of mange scratch similar amounts of fur off themselves as they try to find some form of relief from the mites. I try to put as many as I can out of their misery. I've seen them coming across the field to only stop and scratch like mad, sending fur in every direction and repeat the whole process every 100 or so yards. Poor buggers.

SS,I've never seen that before.

Finally, mange has seemed to have run its course here in nw Minnesota. Lots of weak necks but no mange.
And don't discount a foggy day 9f calling.
My brother and I once had the very best day while hunting in Montana/ND border on a cold foggy day.
Viz was about 60_80 yards from 8 a.m.till 3 p.m..

We called in 21 and killed 15. Longest shot was maybe 80 yards?

Sure was nice not having to hide the truck.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNice job hopefully this weather thins out some of that mange
With wind-chills to be in the minus forties tomorrow morning, it likely won't be me out there thinning out the numbers
smile.gif
I,m getting soft in my old age!
Originally Posted By: borkonSS,I've never seen that before.

Finally, mange has seemed to have run its course here in nw Minnesota. Lots of weak necks but no mange.
And don't discount a foggy day 9f calling.
My brother and I once had the very best day while hunting in Montana/ND border on a cold foggy day.
Viz was about 60_80 yards from 8 a.m.till 3 p.m..

We called in 21 and killed 15. Longest shot was maybe 80 yards?

Sure was nice not having to hide the truck.

I always figured foggy weather coyote hunts would be stellar but it just never happened for me.
Originally Posted By: todbartellgood work Snowshoes
Thanks TB!

Back