Raccoon Mating Season + Cold Weather...

Tonester

Howdy,

I have been hunting raccoons on/off since 2012. Most of the time with a bow in my treestand. I have recently switched to calling in the day and night. This month, I started my first night hunts in the cold.

Mating season or not ~ I went to a hot spot a few nights ago and it was DEAD calm. Moon illumination was 61%, 37 degrees, 10 mph winds and nothing. It seemed lighter than usual due to the heavy snow on the ground.

I wanted to ask about your experience with calling during mating season, at night, and during 0 to 10 degree and 10 degree to 30 degree weather.

Any input is appreciated!

TC

During the last cold front, I saw raccoon out fighting and chasing in trees at/after sunset. Temps were 0 to -5 at sunset -10+ by midnight, big thing there was very little to calm winds. Snow or cold if there is a sow in heat the boars will find/fight for them. The boars start checking sows in Jan, deeper snow and cold then will slow down activity and reduce how far they move. But for trapping, almost all the catches are boar. For fur harvest this is good.

Back