coyote bedding areas?

spot on Kirby Dogg.
another good way to hunt/shoot coyotes/fox is to walk drainage ditches on windy days. action can be fast and close. shotty-gun with lead BB's is choice.

Thanks guys, I do like pics. Especially live pics if they explain or show something.

No drainage ditches here borkon, just regular grassy or brushy creeks. I've killed a couple in the creeks as well. Once they are frozen over & not drifted heavily. They'll use them frequently getting from point A to point B.

Couple of Winters ago I stopped at a farm house to obtain permission. Farmer invited me in out of the cold to talk. We walked into his livingroom, which he pointed out a large window showing me his land boundries.

A creek lay down in an open foothill valley 1/4 mile away. As we were looking & discussing, out popped a coyote walking the high drift on the creek.

I said, look a coyote. He turned & seen it. Then he said what are you going to do? I said kill it, watch me.

I ran outside loaded my rifle then went prone by his house. I put the cross hairs on the front of it's chest & knocked him off the drift. Broke his leading shoulder then couldn't re-connect as the coyote was hauling mail out farther yet. I tracked that coyote 3/8 mile. He ran into a den hole as he bleed like a stuck hog.

Farmer told me after I got back to the house. That was the neatest thing he ever seen hitting that coyote that far out.

I agree Like you said, borkon. They like drainage ditches & or creeks. They are an excellent place to seek shelter from the wind.

Last edited:
wee's got miles apon miles of d-ditches here. love to walk them for fox.
when we HAD fox
angry.gif

Dang it borkon, you done kilt them all. Got a dusting here last pm, maybe I'll finally see one? this am. I think Santa hates me
blink.gif

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I am a newer hunter that spends TONS of hours in the field lots of it just sitting and watching, trying to learn. I absolutely use any knowledge that is passed on to apply it in the field. the info on bedding areas helped me understand the behavior of a couple yotes that i am in the process of curretly playing hide and go seek. I love hunting I wish I had been introduced to it when I was younger. some say I just have the fever I feel like i have found my roots only time will tell.

Friday (1/31/14) I tracked a female coyote to a hole in the side of a dredge ditch it was calm and the temps had risen so I decided to sit 200 yards away and see if she would come out at sunset she did and my hour wait was worth it. So coyotes will use holes and culverts all year round, if they are dry.

I have been at this almost as long as kirby, also in iowa. I seen most of the same behavoiur. I often tell guys if you really want to learn coyotes, get on his trail and track him when conditions permit. Furthest i ever went was 12 miles, still common to go four or five miles. You willeventually recognize certain individuals in the tracks they leave. Also you will learn which track to hunt without seeing the coyote first. Love to find a hot track and go on it without the coyote knowing i am behind him. You will also learn to take a track thru almost anything and stay with it. They seem to have individual characteristics as to how they lay down their tracks. Hard to explain but it is all there. Generally here within a couple miles of trailing they will lay up. The pace will slow down , stopping often and when the track direction changes abrubtly, be very alert.
Other times you can tell by the trail that this individual is going to roam all day. Time to walk back to truck.

Last night (dusk) my wife and I brought some wood in for the evening, she operates the door and I carry it in. We had 6 deer 200 yards in a grassy pocket grazing away, we watched as they spooked and watched a huge alpha male coyote hot on the heels of 2 yearlings. He approached them in a draw. Still almost 100% ice cover here.

Last edited:
Reading thru some older posts and trying to learn what I can about coyote and fox hunting and really appreciate you guys that are willing to share your knowledge. I have not killed all that many but am starting to see why I killed some that I did manage to get. We don't get many chances here ( in Maryland ) so every little bit of information helps.

Thanks a bunch for all the info, really appreciate the guys willing to share the information they have learned over the years. I have been Hunting predators for 7 years now and making lots of mistakes but learning along the way. Spent a lot of time in the field learning from watching and trying different tactics picked up from reading post from guys like you. Thanks again for sharing.

hunting coyotes in western Ks. with greyhounds, found to be bedded in different types of terrain, sometimes in middle of stubble fields, other times in deep draws with lots of weed cover ect.

I am not as versed at calling as others but I do better than most people I know. The one thing I can add is I mainly hunt them using beagles, so we start out by finding a track in the snow but have found it saves alot of time to mainly just head towards the thickest briar patch or where most of the tree tops are. We will deliberately leave the track to take a short cut to the thick stuff, 95% of the time thats where the dogs jump em and strike . Thats the stuff I get close to when I call for them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1oldcoyoteInteresting discussion. Coyote behaviors, is what peaks my interest.

Hi Kirby...

Back