Sightmark Wraith Problem/Question

BryanB

I just purchased a sightmark wraith 4x32 to try and do some night coyote hunting. Got the time to go the other day finally. Started about 3pm and on the 3rd stand called in a nice one, bout 80 yards out and shot, missed and shot again, Another miss. After the 2nd miss I lost sight of the yote and then the scope went black like it just shut off. Would not turn back on, I didn't hit any buttons at all. Was very disappointed due to it was almost dark and planned to keep hunting. I disconnected my aux battery from Foxoptic, still wouldn't turn on. Replaced the 4 AA batterys and no luck. Kept trying it for about 20 min then decided I was done. Got home 30 min later and tried it shortly after that it came right on with both the aux battery pack and on the AAs. I even put the old AAs back in it and tried it. Came right back on. I thought maybe it got to cold(was bout 20 degrees) ? So I left it outside on the porch for a good 5 hours hooked to the aux pack at 16ish degrees and worked fined. Left it outside again today for atleast 2 hours powered on and shot 35 rounds at targets and never gave a problem. The scope is about 2 weeks old and has a Foxoptic aux battery pack on it. Its mounted on a Savage 110 223 caliber varmint rifle. Before this happened I have put atleast 75 rounds through the gun with this scope just target shooting without a problem. I was hitting a quarter at 100 yards with it constantly before I missed that yote. When I shot it today with same ammo it was bout right on.I will say that was the 1st yote I have ever called in and able to shoot at.. so I was a bit excited . That may have been reason for the miss as well.

Anyone had this happen or have any idea as to what happened? I just hate to go out again for a full day/night and it shut off again.

Thanks in advance

If it happened only once, I wouldn't be too worried. Were you recording and aren't other times? That might be the only difference I can think of unless you are using a different shooting platform when hunting vs when you are target shooting.

Thanks for the reply, yes just happened one time so far. Wasnt doing anything different far as rest, recording or anything. Just shooting at a coyote vs paper. I called sightmark today and they are a very helpful. They haven't had one do what mine did.. Told me to check firmware and update it if need then rezero the scope. If it does it again they would ship me a new one. So I can't complain about there service what so ever. Ill update this weekend and see what it does.

I have had the same problem twice now.
Sightmark says due to the cold temperatures.
I took it out the other night in colder temperatures in the past times and it worked perfectly.
Not sure if yours does this but switching the color schemes my crosshair goes fuzzy.

Korey
What has been your experience when using the wraith? Have you had issues with the colder temperatures in North Dakota?

I didn't use the Wraith for nighttime hunting. Thermal works so much better. I used it for recording daytime hunts during Sep-October, so it never got very cold. I sold the Wraith when I looked through the Wraith 4K at Shot show last year. All the production delays of the 4K led me to not order one this year.

Never had an issue with mine but have never used it in cold weather. I'd sell the thing but it's flawless so far. It was the first model produced. (4x32?)

Back