A R Coyote set up

JOHNHOUCK

Wanted to reach out and get some advice. Would like to do an AR set up for coyote. Overloaded with all of the information and options that are out there, wanting to make sure I don’t spend unnecessary money. Any thoughts of a really good set up? Even better, looking to possibly purchase one. Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: Baron85For a factory rifle I have had good luck with rock river rifles

Yep. Lots of bling and marketing out there, but the RRA is a fine production rifle that will fill all of your hunting needs. Plenty of models to choose from.

Whatever you decide on I'd make it quick and start looking for one to buy because supply on AR's is getting to be slim pickings and it's only going to get worse.

Day rifle,night rifle? Will you reload? Do you want double duty from it, home defense,deer hunting,3 gun ? The more use specific, the easier the build/purchase. Suppressed matters and the weight limit.

You want my input? Call SnowmanMo at Predator Technology Group, tell him what you want to do with your predator rifle, give him your credit card number, and let him work his magic. When your rifle is ready, try to carve out some time to go to Arizona. He'll take you calling and show you all the ins and outs of your new rifle. One stop shopping.

There are many options with ARs so it is easy to get confused.

You first need to prioritized what is important to you.

Do you want a smaller rifle that is lightweight and has a shorter barrel?

Are you willing to pack a heavy AR with a long barrel to optimize performance?
Personally I like a heavy AR because in general a heavy gun is often more accurate and easier to shoot than a light gun. I also don't mind packing a heavy gun coyote hunting even though it is common for me to walk several miles in a day of coyote calling. There are some days that I prefer a lightweight rifle.

Do you know what caliber you want or are you still undecided?

Is a gun/ammo combo that shoots 2 MOA acceptable or do you expect sub 1/2 MOA?

What shot distance is most common and what will be your max distance?

If you will be using it for coyotes at moderate ranges with a max of only 200 or possibly 300 yards you may find a 223 wylde to be a good caliber choice. If you want something that will hit harder, especially at extended ranges like a 243 win, you may choose to look at the heavier AR10 platform which is also slightly more expensive to build on and also increases ammo costs.

What is your budget? You might be happy with a cheap AR for around $500 but it isn't hard to spend $5000 on an AR after you add optics and other expensive items to it. I have a stock bushmaster 556 NATO($1000 including scope) that in all honesty is as effective at killing coyotes as my custom AR15 223 wylde ($3000 including scope and suppressor) or AR10 6mm Creedmoor ($5000 including scope and suppressor)

I like ARs but often pack bolt action rifles for coyotes. I also shotgun a lot of the coyotes I call in. If you have friends with an AR, try shooting their ARs and seeing what you do and don't like about them. Testing other peoples guns may be the best way to decide on what you really want.

SNowmanMO and other could help set you up with a good coyote rifle if you are unsure of what you really want.

I bought a RRA predator pursuit 12 yrs ago came with a 20" wilson match barrel 2 stage trigger . it shoots lights out !!!

My friend bought the RRA Coyote Carbine ... 16" barrel and it shoots just as good..

you can NOT go wrong with a Rock River.

Buy the best one you can afford with an 18" barrel. Get a .223 especially if this is your first AR... everyone should have a .223 AR. Get a 1-6 or 1-8 scope. The Vortex strike eagle 1-8 is perfect for 3yds out to 300yds and has a floating dot reticle... my favorite. The Swagger QD 42 is a game changer.

My personal setup is a Noveske 10.5” SBR, with red dot for any time I’m in country that’s close proximity hunting, then I built an 18” upper with a Rainier mountain barrel and Vortex 4-16 scope with a vortex venom on a 45 degree mount. That way I just swap uppers depending on my needs. Both uppers are sighted in with my Nosler 62 grain Varmint load. Simply pull the 2 pins and swap uppers and put suppressor on the one I’m using.

I have two AR's set up for hunting coyotes.
The first is a Colt model 6721 in 5.56. It is a 16" carbine with an HBAR 1/9 twist barrel. The barrel is the same as Colt used on their match target AR-15's and will give sub OMA groups. I have it topped with a Leupold 3.5-9X 40MM scope mounted in a Larue one piece mount.
My second is a 16" Bison Armory recon barrel chambered in 6.8 SPC II. It's mounted to a Rock River Arms upper receiver. I used a Colt GI full automatic bolt carrier with a Stag Arms 6.8 SPC bolt. The upper is mounted to a RRA lower receiver. I have a Leupold 4.5-14X 40MM scope mounted in a Larue QD mount on this carbine as well.
Both of my Coyote hunting AR's are fit with Timney triggers and have Magpul stocks. The 6.8 upper is fit with a Troy forearm, while the 5.56 uses a round knurled free float tube.

Back