Weird week

Had a weird week calling at night. Sunday night 9pm called in a large bat kept swooping down at my caller. Monday night around the same time a huge great horned owl flew in about 3 feet off the ground and landed next to my caller. He stayed there looking around for about 15 minutes. Last night I saw eyes about 200 yds out in a swampy area but wouldn’t budge. Switched up to some bird sounds and it started in. Thought for sure cause how it was moving it was a bobcat. When it got close enough I could see it was a big house cat. Got my heart beating !!!

I have nights like that. I love to see at least an owl, as long as they don't beat the decoy up too badly. I feel that if my set up is right and nothing comes in, I'm in the wrong spot at that time. You have to remember Red fox home range is about 5 miles and coyotes is about 20 miles.

Yep there one day gone the next. Last night I set up in an area I have called at many times but never saw or heard anything at. About two minutes in a group of yotes sounded off about 300 yds over in the next hollow. I howled back at them and about 5 minutes later 3 sets of eyes appeared at the top of the hill. They came in to about 150 yds in the uncut high grass but, they slipped away to my left. Think they winded me. So that goes to show just because they weren’t there today doesn’t mean they won’t be there tomorrow!

You observed a very rare occurrence. I do not know of anyone else that has ever seen a bat out during the winter in PA. Three specious of PA bats go south the other six hibernate in caves. To see one out is definitely a "weird" night.

That is why the call is rarely at my feet, lol ! Called owls in numerous times over the years. WHITE NOSE SYNDROME has killed millions of our bats, leaving their winter shelters and going out in the cold & freezing to death. Bats have come close to extinction, great loss to all of us !

Always assume those coyotes are there !!!

My 7 yo son and I built a bat box (found plans on the web) a few years ago. Hung it high in a big oak tree. Kept checking but was always empty. One day last fall I noticed a pile of "guano" (bat poop) on the ground below the oak. So we have tenets now ! We have a swimming pool and if your out there at dusk in the summer, they are everywhere swooping at the bugs........

Back