.204 AR Build

foxrunner

Just want to be certain...
I'm going with a .204 BBl for my next AR. Is everything compatible parts wise? Upper receiver, bcg, buffer tube,etc..??

Do you reload? If so consider a 20practical. It’s a 223 necked down. Then it would be the same brass as 223, could use a 223 bushing die. Same mags.

It's all compatible. As noted the PRAC would be good if you reload and slightly cheaper to shoot. I have both and the 20 TAC. Not a spit difference in down range performance.

Greg

To answer your question, yes everything is compatible, except pmags don't work well. Many use Lancers, I just used stainless 556 mags.

I bought a shilen barrel which came with matched bolt which was suppose to be headspaced correctly. I didn’t see any difference when I swapped it for the 5.56 bolt that came with the carrier. I still had trouble with some Sierra ammunition called prairie enemy with both bolts. I would have to slam the butt of the rifle against the ground to unload it.

As far as everything else it was just ordinary mil spec parts. It was an aero stripped upper with standard parts. I ran a regular weight buffer than I swapped for a jp silent closure. I didn’t have any problems with the ordinary buffer but the jp just raised my curiosity. It was kind of a waist though running a magpul standard stock. Hope this helps.

Back