What's the fastest 22 cal built on the AR 15 platform

I run SSA (OLD) and FC in mine although I've shot a bunch of the Starline in the 6X6.8 but not tried it in the 22X6.8. I use Type S bushing dies although I have a special run, rare, Redding 22X6.8 standard style die. While you can go from 6.8 to 22 in one pass running them down to 243 would be a wise idea.

Greg

There are an awful lot of varmint style bullets in the 55 to 75 weight range available in 6 mm and I think dies are available. I use Hornady brass in mine. If I run it hot it will lose primer pockets in a couple loadings otherwise it's fine.

Last edited:
That 6 6.8 can be double duty..Could be used for deer also..So can the 22. Would anyone use the 6 for black bears... I started out with fastest 22 and now maybe be looking for a double duty rifle..Those 6mm don't look to bad for speed either. Dan

I think you'll find the sixes will be faster than the 22 with h322 powder when shooting the light bullets especially in the shorter barrels. I honestly see no real need for a 22 for coyotes and larger game unless you're trying to keep furs or something along those lines.

However I can say if I was wanting a 22 it would definitely be a 22 Nosler. Everything is readily available and they're virtually a toss-up as far as speed is concerned. It would be a 22 in 12 twist from White oak armament. Normally they have them in stock and they are out now in the 12 twist version. Those are the most consistently accurate AR barrels I've owned.
I would venture to guess some of the guys having issues with brass are running them with a load that is set on kill through 1/8 twist with rifle length gas. When the round was introduced one of the first barrels that it came out in we're stoners and they were crap. They were probably rough and pressure was probably high. It gave the cartridge a bad name right up front.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. We seem to have different views on cartridges and calibers, but we expound them with objectivity and respect. Not insults. Stay classy, PM gang!

Thank you all for info and I am going to go run with the 6. I have most parts for a build other than barrel and the gas tube.Thank you and good info.. Dan

I have a 6x6.8 I run the 58gvmax shoots great. Fc brass cci450, 8208 3450. Also shoot the 87s good to. Also have a load with sb brass h322 58g vmax 3550ish. It’s very accurate, I have yet to kill a coyote with it. My barrel is a black hole 22” 1.9 twist.

Back