Trijicon flip up lens cover UPDATE

1trkyhntr

The cheap Butler Creek flip up cover on my MK111 finally broke. It has not worked right from day one.
I'm looking for a better alternative and came across the Vortex Defender cap. Anyone here use them?
I'm assuming that the #56 (62mm-66mm) will be the correct size for my 35mm?

Last edited:
I haven't used the Vortex but have had multiple failures from the Butler Creek caps. Some were my fault. I fell and broke both front and back at one time. Also have had the pin slide out more than once. Maybe I'm just hard on stuff I don't knnow, but I am in the market for a more durable set of caps.

I have the Vortex Cover and it is a tad big....to where you can't use the JLmetalworx tube extender...BUT you CAN use original cap or the auxiliary battery adapter cap..

My suggestion is to get a roll of 3M Super 88 electrical tape to secure it on with....it will fall off otherwise. It needs to be quality tape too... nothing less.

..butler creek is junk...all they have to do is make them open all of 270 degrees...must be too complicated for BC to change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: limbhanger10I have the Vortex Cover and it is a tad big....to where you can't use the JLmetalworx tube extender...BUT you CAN use original cap or the auxiliary battery adapter cap..

My suggestion is to get a roll of 3M Super 88 electrical tape to secure it on with....it will fall off otherwise. It needs to be quality tape too... nothing less.

..butler creek is junk...all they have to do is make them open all of 270 degrees...must be too complicated for BC to change.

You can use the JL, you just have to modify the Vortex cap. I'd show you a picture, but I'm at work right now. I use that stretchy self adhesive tape to keep it on...

I bought the Vortex Defender #56 cap. Limbhanger10 was right on both of his comments. The release tab does hit the battery extender but that was an easy fix. I rotated it to about the 11 o'clock position and filed a very small amount off of the corners of the cover release tabs. I had to file both of the tabs because it hit the picatinny rail. If you don't have a full rail you would not have to file the other tab.
You could put it on at 12 o'clock but you would have to file a half moon out of the tab for it to clear the extender.
It fits the body but it will move around a little so I added a zip tie. It seems to be plenty tight now but if that does not hold I'll tape it.
It is not a custom made to fit cap for sure but it is a lot better than the Butler Creek cap was.
O3vJtge.jpg

Last edited:
Back