17 hornet vs 22 hornet fur friendly fox/coyote

Unless someone makes a really good light, 150yds at night might be a push. Then 17 or 22 Hornet, ho easy is it to find loaded ammo around you. Were it me, I think I'd look seriously into handloading for either one. Something like a Lyman Nut Cracker might do you well. Withing 100yds if it were me I'd go with a 22 mag RF. Very easy on pelts.

I was looking on ammoseek earlier today and 17 Hornet ammo was actually one of the few that you could buy plenty of and not only was it plentifully available but it wasn't so costly you'd need to take out a mortgage on your house to purchase a few boxes.

Unless you reload, I'm guessing most factory .17 hornet loads will be lighter/ varmint bullets?
Coyotes aint varmints!

Originally Posted By: borkonUnless you reload, I'm guessing most factory .17 hornet loads will be lighter/ varmint bullets?
Coyotes aint varmints!

Ya' but .... I used to work with a guy who has a son who knows someones' uncle who married a woman whose brother killed a coyote dead right there with a light varmint bullet, so anyone should be good to go in that realm. Right?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Use the right bullet which is a good bullet for the animal pursued, and you should be good most of the time unless you screw up on where you hit the coyote or any other animal. A light varmint bullet designed for PD's and such is not a good coyote bullet "most of the time".

borkon is spot on. Listen to him.

I find it amusing that many people will extoll the virtues of a 17 hornet on coyotes, yet others have said that my 17-223 was on the light side, and others yet that claim a 223 isn’t enough.
I have not lost a single coyote with the 17-223, perhaps because if in doubt I put a second one in it. But, i have seen that a 17 bullet will not tolerate any misplacement of the shot. A 17 hornet at 60% of the speed of a 17-223, leaves even less room for error.

I love my 17 hornet, but it is far from the best choice for coyotes. Fox and bobcat, sure, but fox are tiny compared to a coyote.

Listen. If I want to kill coyotes and fox because I'm trying to sell you something, have a TV show or protecting my herd and I didn't care about fur. My first choice for a weapon is not a 17HH or any other 17 cal. It would be an AR in a 20 cal. with Thermal and I could shoot more then 1 or 2 coyotes coming in, and if only 1 came in and I missed with the first shot I could unload the clip. Now if I wanted to play sniper and lived in open country where shots could be taken as far I could see, I still wouldn't want a 17 cal. in anything. I would probably get a 6.5 Creedmoor and sight in for 1200yds.

Now back in 12/31/18 Artic Wolf put a video on Fox pro where he put a 243 87gr Vmax thru a coyotes shoulder and it excited thru the bottom paunch. That coyote traveled with guts coming out for 250yds. I myself have shot coyotes with 243 85gr.BTHP and blew holes big as your head thru them and they never twitched.

Every caliber that has been shot and will be shot, will kill coyotes if its a vital shot. Every cal. will loose animals so long as the shooter doesn't use the right bullet, within its proper range, with proper shot placement.

In regards to Cal. and bullet that will do the least damage to fur and Drop them where they stand. Its not so simple.

If the rounds are traveling over 3000fps you will tear fur sooner or later. If rounds are less then 3000fps you can avoid fur damage usually, but you have to be more precise with shot placement and range is limited.

Having the right bullet and putting it where it needs to go to Drop them where they stand requires more then just buying a 22-250 and shooting a 50gr.Vmax . Same holds true with smaller Cals. like 22 Mag. 17HMR, 17WSM, 17HH etc..

I have watched old black and white films that Gordon Eastman took of Eskimos shooting Polar bears with 22mag. They would get sneak up on the bear and shoot them in the temple. DRT.

So don't pay no mind to all the people that say such and such is not a coyote Cal. Its because of them or their buddy not using the proper bullet, within its effect range and placing it where it has to go.

Hmmm.
I have 2, .17_204's and I've loaded each with Chan Nagels bullets.
Tell ya what, on called in frontal or broadside chest shots, its an incredible thing to see!

I've shot 100's with bigger calibers but that .17 cal just paralyzes them. Nose in the dirt Dead!

Good bullets,speed and shot placement are a thing of wonder.

Just shot a grey today with my 22 hornet. Shot was roughly 50 yards. Entered where it’s neck met its right shoulder and exited the left shoulder. Exit was about the size of a nickel. 45 grain hornady soft point.

I ended up getting a CZ 527 in 17 hornet. A very kind fellow forum member that has taken lots of fur with his 17 hornet got me started with some 25 gr. factory HP's. And, the icing was that a good friend of mine that does lots of reloading offered to help with some 25 HP reloads when the time comes. The gun and the load shoots great, I've been very impressed. I've struck out my first few times calling, but I'll keep at it. The forum members here that have been willing to share their lessons they've learned over the years has been tremendously helpful. I'm amazed at the kindness that hunters (and the folks on Trapperman) have provided. Sure beats the rest of the internet world!

Back