Help me pick a rifle.

42769vette

Sponsor
I'm just getting into thermal's, and have a super hogster on the way. I'm tore between what gun to use. This will be used on a tripod with Acra swiss mounts, suppressed.

Option 1

556, 20 inch AR, with Mlok arca adaptor. I've got 55gr Vmax's to load up for this. It has the advantage of being semi auto for follow-up shots, but I HATE precision reloading for a semi auto. Gun shoots MOAish. I do not have, and cant find H-322. Ill have to use Ramshot, AA2230, Varget, or H-4198. (probably Ramshot or 2230 as I load this progressive)

Option 2

I have a Tikka T3 in 243 that I don't use for anything. I have 90gr ELD-x bullets, and piles of powder(Varget/4350/4198/4895). I will load this single stage, problem becomes, mounting it to a tripod will require a new stock (KRG, etc). I use AI mags in a few other rifles, so I have plenty. This gun is sub MOA. I will need to mount an extra pic rail for the battery pack, but with the Chassis that wont be an issue. Ballistically I would assume the 90gr ELD-x would be better than the 55gr Amax, but I dont know what velocities Ill end up with on either.

Mounting everything up will be easier/cheaper on the AR, Follow up's will be faster on the AR. The T3 is more accurate (not that it will really matter at 300 yard thermal ranges).

If anyone can give a vote with a pro/con Im not considering that would be great.

What are you going to shoot with this weapon?

AR in 556 - quick follow up shots but less knock down power. 55gr Vmax are great for varmints.

243 bolt gun - more knock down power and accuracy. 90 gr Eld-X would be fantastic right in the neck of a pig.

If you are hunting hogs, I would use the .243 (more knock down).

If you are hunting coyotes, varmints, and small critters - AR all the way.

That's my .02 cents anyhoo.

TC

Originally Posted By: TonesterWhat are you going to shoot with this weapon?

AR in 556 - quick follow up shots but less knock down power. 55gr Vmax are great for varmints.

243 bolt gun - more knock down power and accuracy. 90 gr Eld-X would be fantastic right in the neck of a pig.

If you are hunting hogs, I would use the .243 (more knock down).

If you are hunting coyotes, varmints, and small critters - AR all the way.

That's my .02 cents anyhoo.

TC

I guess that would be relevant. This will be all coyote. No hogs in indiana yet.

To me part of the equation is if you are an AR type or not.
Everything here is good advice if it fits you and your hunting area.
I have had AR's in the past and always go back to a bolt.
Currently I am borrowing a friends AR, the semi auto is nice occasionally, then I am very happy to switch back to my Tikka that is right next to me in the seat.

Originally Posted By: tripod3To me part of the equation is if you are an AR type or not.
Everything here is good advice if it fits you and your hunting area.
I have had AR's in the past and always go back to a bolt.
Currently I am borrowing a friends AR, the semi auto is nice occasionally, then I am very happy to switch back to my Tikka that is right next to me in the seat.
I do agree with this fully. For me it depends on the day.

im a bolt gun guy to the core, so i vote the t3. mount your acra to a saddle, you dont need a new stock/chassis. put the extra pic rail for your battery pack on the saddle itself and youre good to go.

you shoot better with the tikka, so theres no real question here. plus the reloading is easier and you have the powder.

Another option is to go with an AR10 in 6.5 creed or .308 in case the hogs show up eventually. This will give you a little more firepower and range.

Back