Baiting

Shot a coyote tonight. Hit it at least once, tracked a blood trail for about a mile in the dark and then had to call it off and head back home. So no recovery =( I'm pretty sure it's down though. Was finding 2" diameter blood spots about every 100-200 feet.

My brother shot a coyote Friday night and it was in a hole, but not covered, about 20 feet from where I shot this coyote. I think this one smelled the dead coyote and came to check it out.

Here's a link to the scope cam video. Additional details in the youtube video description.

I generally use chicken or catfood for bait. I'm creative though and I'll dump anything out as bait that I think will work and that is convenient at the time. If any of our chickens die, i usually put them out as bait. I've also used dead rats, turkey scraps after thanksgiving, remains from cooking up a fish, apples, etc.

I actually haven't put any bait out in about a month. My brother shot a coyote a few days ago that was just passing through the property and tripped the alarms at 8:30pm. That coyote, now about 4 days old, was dumped in a pre-dug hole, but not covered over yet. The coyote I shot in the video here was about 20 feet from that hole and the other dead coyote. I think it came in to check out the dead coyote. The direction the coyote was looking when I shot it was towards our chicken coop, and also towards where my wife was calling for our cat from the front door of the house.

Another nice red GG! Congrats.

Way to go DU. Things may be picking up. Congrats all on the kills.

Bit of bad luck for me this week. Went on a 3 day fox hunt and got skunked. Came home Wednesday night and missed a coyote on the bait. Next day, buddy I hunted fox with called and told me they had a fantastic day Thursday. Saw 6 reds and killed 3. I'm jinxed...convinced of that. There's always tomorrow.

Stay after em fellas!!

Been a slow year here as well. Few and far between has been the norm. We usually get an uptick in activity in Feb. and March, but it may not happen this year.

Got my new to me Wraith 2-16 yesterday, put it on my 17 rem upper I assembled 15 years ago. Sat in my portable blind, at 9 a mangy one showed up(115 yards). The 25 gr WCD gold did the deed(about 4000/sec). Tonight I will remember to put a chip in.

Congratulations, those 17 Rems. hit a lot harder than those little pills look especially up around 4,000 fps. They usually go feet up and wave goodbye.

Sat last night from 5:30 til shooting one at 1:05 am. Heard coyote in several directions from about 6:30 pm until about 11:30. Breeding time must be close, heard many different vocalizations including wimpering. Just manage to not freeze in the hub blind with the buddy heater. I got about 5 minutes of video(including the shot) but it is almost impossible to see anything from the file. Can replay on scope and see ok? I moved the IR emitter out to the gas block, really helped clear up the scope. I believe mounted on scope the blind interior reflects back into scope. But I forgot my Allen wrench so I couldn't adjust emitter angle, so video shows a lot of foreground lighting, interfering during video. About 135 yard shot, behind shoulder no exit, 4 straight males. Farmer asked me when I will shot a female,lol.

Back