Gifted a 22-6mm

204 AR

Last week my old hunting partner and friend called me and asked if I had time on the weekend to meet up, he said he had something he wanted to give me. I had an idea what it was, but didn't think it was appropriate to ask before he was ready to tell. You see, his sight is getting progressively worse, to the point that coyote hunting is, well, almost pointless except for the time spent afield. His overall health is becoming a bit frail as well. It's been a fun 10 years or so hunting with him and I learned alot about hunting and life from his decades of experience. I'm starting to get a little longer in the tooth as well so some of the more important things in life are not lost on me either.

So we visited for quite a while looking over decades of hunting photos and telling stories. Then he pulled out an old rifle he had had built about 20 years ago.

You see, he lived in my hometown, but moved there several years after I moved on and I never knew him then. And this rifle was built by a part time, self taught gunsmith whom I had spent a lot of time with in my teens. He sporterized untold numbers of military rifles and sold them at bargain prices. His work was good, but not world class by any means. He just liked doing it, and got a lot of local people into good shooting rifles for a good price, and often worked up a good load for it to boot. This old boy just passed away a couple years back, well into his 90's, after a life that included flying fighters in ww2, and climbing power poles for over 40 years. I regretted not buying, and keeping, a rifle he had built, just because.

So back to the rifle. 98 Mauser, 27" Shilen stainless tube chambered in 22-6mm, and a worked over military stock that he turned into a straight grip stock and checkered. In his earlier work he used a lot of Fajen stocks, but later felt they got too expensive. Aftermarket trigger that feels very good. 1 piece redfield scope mount. And military safety, so basically no safety with a scope on it. The action is polished nicely and browned as opposed to blued. I got it home and scoped the bore. Didn't look too bad, he didn't shoot it a whole lot because he couldn't get it to shoot to his expectations, and he gave me the targets to show what he had done. Some were pretty good, some not so good. I felt it should shoot better than that. After a good cleaning, I'm pretty happy with the condition of the bore, and the chamber looks really good.

I pulled it apart to find the barrel was bedded in the chamber area, and again at the tip of the forearm. But nothing in the action. So yesterday I bedded the whole action, and today bedded the bottom metal. I was pretty shocked it hadn't been done because I never knew the old gunsmith to not bed an action on a new build. And honestly, the bedding wasn't even close to being good. So I think I figured out why it didn't shoot that great lol. I have high hopes when I get it done it's going to be a tack driver.

Anyway, just wanted to share the neat gesture. I'll get some pics up when I get it all put back together.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanYou'll love the 22-6MM. I have one and it is a lazer beam out to long distances.

What do you shoot in it? This one's a 14 twist. I've got some 52 bthp and 55 vmax and a few 40's if they'll hold together lol.

Congrats! good story.. Mausers are finicky to bed, there just isn't much there to bed! They are IMO great actions though.. Sounds like it shows potential! Once you get the bedding right it should be a tack driver.. If things ever break, try to get your hands on some Sierra 55gr SBT game kings. I'm interest to see what it will do!

Good luck to ya..

AWS said:
With that 1-14 twist boattails over 50gr might be real close to the stability line. There are safeties that work just fine with a scope for Mauser actions.

Possibly.. But the 55 gr GK BT is not a long bullet! It measures only .730 in length.. (some 52grbt bullets measure .798) Given the velocity attainable with this cartridge, it should stabilize.. Lol, I love Sierra GK bullets! so there is a little bias included..

The 55gr Rem SP the bullet that was popular when 1-14 twist were the goto twists for .224 barrels is only .682, if you cant get it to shoot look at some 50-52gr Flatbase non-tipped bullets or 55gr SP Flatbase bullets

Remember those old Mauser actions had a slow and heavy firing pin fall, were never popular for BR rifles.

Last edited:
I stabalize 50gr spitz with a 1:16 twist and alot less velocity..
BTW, the Mauser was never intended as a BR rifle! Doesn't mean it can't be a tack driver though..

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: Winny FanYou'll love the 22-6MM. I have one and it is a lazer beam out to long distances.

What do you shoot in it? This one's a 14 twist. I've got some 52 bthp and 55 vmax and a few 40's if they'll hold together lol.

Mine is 1-12" and it shoots just about anything I put in it, including a 62 Grain BTHP with a Cannelure for coyotes that I found several yrs back at Midway USA. Its a good bullet for that purpose.

I've played with a couple of 70 grain bullets that also shoot well in it, but I like the 62 grain and lighter bullets down to the Sierra 52 grain BTHP's for their flat trajectory. It shoots the old standard 55 grain lead-tipped spitzers like they were made for each other, and they too work great on coyotes.

Well the bedding turned out really nice, I fully bedded the action one day and the bottom metal the next and finally re-did the chamber area of the barrel and floated the forearm tip.

Today after work I mounted a scope and got it sighted in. It fought me quite a bit at first. The ammo I got with it shot about 1 moa, I didn't measure but it wasn't spectacular. 60 gr Sierra hp over 4064, he guessed 3600 fps but I knew from his load it would be much slower and it was only 3330. I tried some 52 bthp Hornady blems over h4350, 45 gr for 3890 and 46 gr for 3940 fps, but accuracy was, well, terrible. Brought it back in the house and found I still had a spot on the forearm almost touching the barrel, so fixed that but I don't think that would have done it completely, but we'll see.

Then I went to re-set the target turrets on a new Meopta scope, and the turret screw twisted off! So now I have to send that in.

All in all, not a successful day lol.

So I managed to burn a little more powder today, and not much to show unfortunately. 4064 was the powder of choice, and 52 bthp and 55 vmax. 37 gr was the start, and was the best group also but only 3550 fps. worked up to 40.5 for 3900 fps with the 52s and 39.5 with the 55s for 3800 approx. But nothing I'd call stellar or even acceptable really.

So I knew the scope mount was mounted crooked, and that isn't helping anything. Like, the holes are drilled a crazy amount off, clearly visible with the naked eye. 1 piece redfield steel mount, three holes total. And the back has shims as that bridge was too low, he had 50 thou worth of shims under it. I don't think I'll get consistent accuracy until I get that all squared away. With it crooked, the mount can't seat on the receiver right. I'm considering bedding the mount, using release agent on the receiver. But the right thing is have it re-drilled, moving the mount forward or back enough to make new holes. ugh. Then there's still the height difference to contend with.

So in talking with my local gunsmith, I'm going to bed the mount. We each took measurements and found I do indeed have a large ring mount, and found that about 25 thou had been taken off the rear bridge when he removed the stripper clip hump. So that accounts for a lot of the height problem. From the markings he said it's a really good receiver, one of the best 98's so that's nice at least. He recommended not drilling any more holes if we can help it.

The other thing I need to take into account is that I'm shooting blem bullets. It may make a difference at these types of speeds, more so than at 223 speeds. Just a guess there though. I need to get some good sierras or bergers if I don't get better results.

From the descriptions you have provided, it sounds like you have some significant issue that need to be addressed and resolved before you get too excited about what bullets to shoot in it, etc.

JMO, so take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanFrom the descriptions you have provided, it sounds like you have some significant issue that need to be addressed and resolved before you get too excited about what bullets to shoot in it, etc.

JMO, so take it for what it's worth.

I agree completely. I'm not wasting any more components on it until I'm confident in the scope mount being solid.

Back