Rifle weight

We grow some pretty big deer (killed a 11 point this yr over 200 Lbs) I've also killed some large coyotes. I think the coyotes get a little bigger up north though or so I hear. I got a bother in-law from NC, He sure loves a good pig pickin!

Originally Posted By: Coyote#1We grow some pretty big deer (killed a 11 point this yr over 200 Lbs) I've also killed some large coyotes. I think the coyotes get a little bigger up north though or so I hear. I got a bother in-law from NC, He sure loves a good pig pickin!

Pigs we have a lot of. No season on them here.

Kimber in the last pic? Pretty stock.

I never really minded a heavier gun nor really noticed it unless I was walking a ton. My first deer rifle was my grandfathers sporterized 1917 Enfield .30-06 and without a scope it weighed right at 10 lbs. It sucked lugging that around miles and miles at 12 years old in the bear woods.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remKimber in the last pic? Pretty stock.

I never really minded a heavier gun nor really noticed it unless I was walking a ton. My first deer rifle was my grandfathers sporterized 1917 Enfield .30-06 and without a scope it weighed right at 10 lbs. It sucked lugging that around miles and miles at 12 years old in the bear woods.

Heavier rifles when I was many years younger didn't bother me to much either. Now, it's different.

Yes. A Classic I had rebarreled and then I built the stock for it from English Walnut.

Little over 10 1/2 for me, tried to make it 12, just couldn't open up enough of the stock, then kind of failed when I bedded what lead I could get in it.

10 1/2 should be ok though. Iron sights.

I don't mind a heavy gun, my longer range rigs were always heavier, 14-16lbs or so, but they had scopes, and therefore bases and rings as well, I always went heavy duty with those as well, badger and the like.

Really never been a fan of light guns, heavy is stable, stable is accurate. Smooth as well.

My drilling is at 7.9# scoped
mF8Jow.jpg

Combo gun is the same
VGUJSc.jpg

AR is 8.9#
wZlF4l.jpg

Little Sako is 7.3 with ammo and butt pack on it.
BH8AGG.jpg

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I only dabble in predator hunting... quite unsuccessfully so far.

Savage 243: McGowen 26" Sendero Profile, B&C Medalist Stock, Vortex PST 6-24x50. About 12.5 pounds. It does shoot little groups and will hold the X-Ring at 600 if I read the wind right.

AR-15: A2 Lower with 16" Barrel, Viper PST 1-4x. Built as a 3-Gun Rifle but can pull double duty. 7ish pounds.

Only shot I've ever let loose at a yote was with a .243 Handi Rifle with open sights. We stumbled upon each other in the woods and it was in 3rd gear by the time I got a shot.

Originally Posted By: AnschutzDisclaimer: I only dabble in predator hunting... quite unsuccessfully so far.

Savage 243: McGowen 26" Sendero Profile, B&C Medalist Stock, Vortex PST 6-24x50. About 12.5 pounds. It does shoot little groups and will hold the X-Ring at 600 if I read the wind right.

AR-15: A2 Lower with 16" Barrel, Viper PST 1-4x. Built as a 3-Gun Rifle but can pull double duty. 7ish pounds.

Only shot I've ever let loose at a yote was with a .243 Handi Rifle with open sights. We stumbled upon each other in the woods and it was in 3rd gear by the time I got a shot.

Keep at it! you will connect sooner than later..

dang my guns are heavy! both built on old mauser 98 actions and laminate stocks i made myself.

leaving the truck to hunt, with lights, rounds etc

22-250 with a varmint contour heavy barrel, 10.5lbs
243 with sporter barrel, 10lbs

Originally Posted By: jaximusdang my guns are heavy! both built on old mauser 98 actions and laminate stocks i made myself.

leaving the truck to hunt, with lights, rounds etc

22-250 with a varmint contour heavy barrel, 10.5lbs
243 with sporter barrel, 10lbs

Alot of manufactures duplicated (with mods) the Mauser 98.. It is IMO legendary..

Some like em heavy some like em light! Thats cool.. I use to pack a Ruger 77 (tang safety) bull barrel 22-250, it was a very heavy rifle with the 6-18x40 scope.. Finally shot the barrel out of it & re-barred with a Wilson 24" in 6mm BR that was even heavier.. Very accurate! but heavy.. I think it was a Ruger #1 in 243 that really made me realize that light can still be just as accurate! Then I was again convinced by a TC chambered in 22 K hornet (light barrel) that was a real tack driver..
The barrel was the majority of the weight & I do like a front heavy rifle.. Whatever your poison, if ya shoot it well thats whats most important..

I have a ruger ultra lite 243 tang safety. With 3 rounds sling and scope it weights 6lbs 13 oz. barrel is 18 1/2 in and pencil thin the wooden stock is routed out everywhere.the way it came from factory. its a real pleasure to carry.. first 3 shots touch after that its spray and pray.

Back